Advise on Buying a used Lexus ES350

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Advise on Buying a used Lexus ES350

Postby Chemical FADI on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:35 pm

Hi guys,

allow me guys to say you are doing a great job here in this forum. 8) )
i am reading the topics and learning alot from them, yet im not able to decide what car to buy???

frankly speaking eversince i came to uae (2002 onwards) and im driving a company car.

but now the time came and i have to buy one.

The budget: 100 - 125k

after alot of searching i narrowed my choices for the following:
1. Toyota avalon 2009: as of today it comes only the top range "limited" and costs 130k, i checked it at al futtaim and its really a luxy car, but it lacked a navi syst (i wonder why??) :roll:
2. Honda accord: the prices ranges start from 100k for the 2009 2.4l, and 123k for the 3.5l.
3. Lexus IS300 No. 1: 2008 model costs 148 k, 2009 model costs 165k.
4. Lexus ES350 No. 1: 2008 model costs 169k, and the 2009 costs 182k.

conclusion:
for the ES nd IS series, im going to consider only buying a 2-nd hand car. I love the Lexus and always wanted to own one. Im still also considering the Avalon. U see im confused !!!! :?

i need more info from u guys about how to buy a used car Lexus ES350 (the IS is small a bit).
how to check, what to look in it, and to find the real prices of it?

Now i tried to make as much homework as possible and found that the prices range from 120 - 137k for ES350 2007 (with different milages). "source is your prestigious website"

Kindly advise with your comments and/or suggestions?

if u need more info please dnt hesitate to ask for it.

thanks in all cases
Chemical FADI
Rookie
Rookie

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: chemist
My Dream Ride: Aston Martin

Re: Advise on Buying a used Lexus ES350

Postby root on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:21 am

If you are considering Lexus, then consider Infiniti as well.

I personally like the new Honda Accord a lot. Looks slick, new shape, spacious and a Honda. Others here I know will disagree and will say Nissan Altima is a better choice ;)

If you go with a 2nd hand ES Lexus, make sure you go with the new shape one. I think it came out starting 2007. It's a lovely car, and from every mechanic I've spoken to Lexus is the car that least comes back for service, so a well-kept second hand is pretty safe (just get it checked up first!).

As mentioned, in your range you have also Altima, and also Mazda 6.

Avalon - nice car, wants to be a lexus but still a toyota. Good value for money, but I see personally 2 issues with it...it looks like an old-mans car, like the chairmans chauffeur driven car...second is that there are not that many you see on the road, so I doubt resale is that great as other Toyotas.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby Chemical FADI on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:38 pm

If you are considering Lexus, then consider Infiniti as well.

I am checking it, my friend got one early this year, no1 2007 falls in the budget.

I personally like the new Honda Accord a lot. Looks slick, new shape, spacious and a Honda. Others here I know will disagree and will say Nissan Altima is a better choice ;)

No doubt of what u said, however i like the V6 engine 3.5L which amounts to 123K, i'd rather pay that much for the Lexus only.

If you go with a 2nd hand ES Lexus, make sure you go with the new shape one. I think it came out starting 2007. It's a lovely car, and from every mechanic I've spoken to Lexus is the car that least comes back for service, so a well-kept second hand is pretty safe (just get it checked up first!).

I'm considering only the 2007 model full option with the lowest milages possible.
Q: where do u advise to get the car checked, its my first time to buy a car and really i have no idea how to this job? Also advise me what are important things to check?

As mentioned, in your range you have also Altima, and also Mazda 6.

correct, but im not really fond of them.

Avalon - nice car, wants to be a lexus but still a toyota. Good value for money, but I see personally 2 issues with it...it looks like an old-mans car, like the chairmans chauffeur driven car...second is that there are not that many you see on the road, so I doubt resale is that great as other Toyotas.

I agree with u.

after this discussion, the ES350 is still gaining more pionts comparing to the other models.
however, i'm still searching other options that suits my needs.

Thanks u for the nice reply and I'll keep u updated.
Chemical FADI
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:09 pm

Well, to get it checked up you have a few options:

- Take it to Al-Futtaim and get them to assess it. They'll charge you more than outside but they'll also give you an estimate of what it will cost to replace things/parts they think need replacement.

- Take it to one of the Tasjeel repair places and ask them for a full car check-up. I think they charge AED 250 for that and do a full check-up. These guys are not biased, so probably a good cheap bet.

Given that you will be spending a good 120+k on it, I'd not try to save money on a proper check-up. It'll also give you a peace in mind afterwards as well.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby T.N.T on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:07 pm

root wrote:I personally like the new Honda Accord a lot. Looks slick, new shape, spacious and a Honda. Others here I know will disagree and will say Nissan Altima is a better choice ;)

:)

root wrote:Avalon - nice car, wants to be a lexus but still a toyota. Good value for money, but I see personally 2 issues with it...it looks like an old-mans car, like the chairmans chauffeur driven car...second is that there are not that many you see on the road, so I doubt resale is that great as other Toyotas.

I'd worry more about the 'chauffeur car image' if I owned an ES because almost all hotels nowadays have the new shape ES to transport customers. Avalon, I doubt if there are any.
I personally hate the ES so I guess root is a better person to talk to when it comes to advice about it.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:12 am

Hey, the ES is a nice sedan! Ok, it's FWD, but other than that, it's got space, power and luxury and does not cost an arm and a leg (just an arm) like the GS or LS versions.

You are right about the ES being used by hotels lately. I also noticed it recently. Hope it does not trash the image like Camry and taxis. Good thing its the good 5-star hotels. Remember that Burj Al Arab has Rolls Royce cars, Atlantis has 7-series BMWs ;)
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby T.N.T on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:14 pm

Space, maybe. Power, no. Luxury, maybe.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby Chemical FADI on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:13 pm

root wrote:Hey, the ES is a nice sedan! Ok, it's FWD, but other than that, it's got space, power and luxury and does not cost an arm and a leg (just an arm) like the GS or LS versions.

You are right about the ES being used by hotels lately. I also noticed it recently. Hope it does not trash the image like Camry and taxis. Good thing its the good 5-star hotels. Remember that Burj Al Arab has Rolls Royce cars, Atlantis has 7-series BMWs ;)

That's true, but its not linked to the axi image as its the case with camry and Altima.

BTW, ES350 is front wheel drive.

IS there any recalls for safety or problem matters for the ES350?
Chemical FADI
Rookie
Rookie

Postby T.N.T on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:04 pm

Yes, we know it is FWD and that's what root said.
Recalls don't happen in this region. No safety problems either.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby Brembo on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:18 am

the es350 will serve you well, since its a lexus it should be pretty realiable and reasonably cheap to maintain (though a toyota oil change will still be cheaper)
its very comfortable, decent highway cruiser and can seat 4 big people comfortably.
the leather seats are not that bad either and id call it good luxury.
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Postby Chemical FADI on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:43 pm

speaking about maintenance, can anyone give an average figure of how much needed to maintain the ES350?

thanks guys for your valuable replies.
Chemical FADI
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Brembo on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:46 pm

not sure as it changes from vehicle to vehicle, but goto the lexus service center they will have a chart up with the prices for the 5k , 10k, 20k etc etc services
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Return to Car Buying Advice