How to check over imported vehicle

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

How to check over imported vehicle

Postby geo1400 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:10 am

Hi guys,

I'm currently trying to get myself a good SUV/4x4 for the wife and baby. I think I've found just the car within my budjet. It's a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited, fully loaded with the 5.7 hemi. I love everything about the car apart from... it's history.

I've never bought a "US" imported car and I'm just so unclear on the cars background. Basically it was brought in with about 35000kms and has done a further 10k since. It only has records of a battery change and front wing respray from Trading Enterprises. My worries are if the car is genuine milage (it is[b] in excellent condition), and if it is stolen - accident recovered etc etc.

What I want to know is: [b]do cars go through vigorous testing upon entry to the UAE? would they highlight and decline the car if it has accident or pending police reports? WHY OH WHY would somebody buy a car from a used car dealer that doesn't have any history!!??

The car has no warranty but if I purchase the car it will go through a major service before I buy, and the owner seems genuine enough in guaranteeing me the originallity of the car.

Any opinions appreciated.

Geo1400
geo1400
Cruiser
Cruiser

Re: How to check over imported vehicle

Postby T.N.T on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:14 pm

It would be better if you look for something else.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby geo1400 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:21 pm

That's what my gut feeling is to be honest...

Anyone have info on what the procedures are for importing i.e. do they just let anything through the docks?

Thanks
geo1400
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby root on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:45 am

There's really no good way to check the history unless the car comes with a service history book, where you can see if all the services are done, and mileage and dates match. This can be forged as well, but most dealers will not go through that hassle to scam.

The ports are more vigilant against stolen cars these days, and will stop it if it does not have proper papers or in some stolen-car database. There are still cases getting around this, but not as common as before.

My suggestion is to take the car to the dealer and make them do a full thorough checkup. It may cost you 1500-2000 AED, but it will be worth it.

A friend just recently bought a Land Rover, US imported, fully loaded...a bit like you are thinking of. He had it standing at Al-Tayer for 2 days and got them to do a check-up of everything before he inked the deal. He seems pretty happy with his buy..he did get a bargain.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby geo1400 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:06 pm

Thanks Root,

That's what i'm doing. I've managed to convince the owner that a major service should be done first and while it's in, do the check up. Aparently the check is 750dhs and this may include checking the cars origin. Anyway, i'm going to put a holding/refundable deposit on the car incase it all comes back ok.

Thanks for your advice.

I'll let you all know what happens, it may help someone else in the same situation.

Geo1400
geo1400
Cruiser
Cruiser

Return to Car Buying Advice