I want advice to choose between fortuner 2009 or prado 2009

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

I want advice to choose between fortuner 2009 or prado 2009

Postby abuzade on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:59 am

Hi,

First, I relay appreciate your help and I do take your advice in consideration, your opinions will definitely effect my last decision.

I'm buying a new car, and i was locking on Toyota FORTUNER 2009 2.7l, suddenly I met the PRADO 2009 2.7l and it relay attracted me.

I need your advice regarding the following:

1. Quality ride comparison
2. fuel economy comparison, and if anyone have a previous exp. exactly how many KM per full, and how much is the full assuming i will use oct 95, I'm doing 100KM daily and might need to do more soon.

3. I have a family

4. I'm planning to own it may be for 15 years, and i might use it to travel more than 3000KM

Thanks in advance
abuzade

My Ride: I don't know what I ride

Re: I want advice to choose between fortuner 2009 or prado 2009

Postby root on Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:05 am

First of all, both the vehicles are pretty similar. They have the same engine, but the body/platforms are different.

1. Quality of ride is very similar in my view. The Prado is a bit wider so should be more stable and lower center of gravity, but the Fortuner drive is very good as well.
2. The 2.7l one does about 8 km per liter if i recall correctly. Also depends on load factor in the car.
3. Prado is more spacious.
4. You may want to look at the 4.0 liter versions of both vehicles. The 2.7 liter is rather under-powered. It maxs out at 150 km/h, so if you are doing daily 100 km trips, you might want something with better acceleration and power. Both vehicles will last you 15 years if you treat it well.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby abuzade on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:17 pm

Thank you root for the quick reply.

So, do you think paying 30K AED more for the PRADO is worthless, since they are almost the same??

I need your comments on this too please considering the 2.7l engine for both:

1.PRADO is Japan made where the FORTUNER is made in Thailand!
2.PRADO is heavier than FORTUNER, so the last one will work better with the 2.7l and considered more fuel economy?
3.PRADO have a higher resell value?
4.FORTUNER is more off road capable than the PRADO?

Do you have any idea about the fuel calculation for FORTUNER 4.0L.....?
abuzade

Postby root on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:07 am

1. Yes, there is perception value on Prado being better as it's 'Made in Japan'. Who knows reality, but perceptions are hard to change.
2. True. The fortuner is probably better on the 2.7l engine.
3. True as well. Just look around in every parking lot and you'll see Prados, Prados and Prados. It's also a very reliable vehicle that looks sharp as well.
4. Not sure about that one. Not a heavy-duty off-roader, so I'll let others comment on what the clearance and 4x4 functions, etc are like.

Fuel calculation, no, but being a V6, I would say 50% more than the 2.7 V4...ball park figures now.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby abuzade on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:40 pm

I think I will choose FORTUNER 4.0l No. 1, it's wasting of money to buy 2.7l 4x4, its better then to buy Camry, what do you think??? 4x4 + powerful engine+ Cheap price + great off-roared + Toyota = FORTUNER 4.0L
abuzade

Postby ren_thomas on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:15 am

Hi...

I had checked Fortuner and Prado as well....the sales exec told me that the Fortuner was made in Indonesia while the Prado in Japan......Honestly the Prado has a better finish than teh Fortuner (interiors)
ren_thomas
Rookie
Rookie

My Ride: Prado
My Profession: Banking
My Dream Ride: H3

Postby root on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:49 am

The Fortuner was made in Thailand last time I checked. Maybe now we are getting the Indonesian versions.

These days you really don't know where cars are coming from, and brands try to maintain a consistent quality. E.g, a lot of the Nissans here are coming from USA, the Camry used to come to Australia (maybe still does), the small Chevy's are actually manufactured by Daewoo or Kia in Korea, the Chevy Lumina and Caprice are really Australian Holden re-badged.

But, if you find the interior of the prado better, then that's a hard fact. I think the interior of the prado is much nicer than most other SUVs in the same price-range.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fortuner 2009 :: 2.7 vs V6 4L

Postby INTRUDER XXV on Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:19 am

Hi,
i hav recently purchased a Fortuner 2.7 4x4 automatic - GX 2.

it is a good off roader, i took it to the desert here in Saudi, it went pretty well, and also on the beach with shallow waters, it was really amazing, it has appretiable height which helps it to move very easily in the desert.
but only one thing i am repenting that i would hav gone for a V6, as its more powerful, i stay in a hilly region, even i go at good speeds arround 80 to 100kmph while climbing the mountain roads, some times a V6 fortuner overtakes me and zooms away out of my sight, while i keep on pressing the pedal and watch the V6 disappear. yes the V6 is as expensive as the Prado 2.7, but is very powerful.
so when u want an tough off roader and powerful, jst go for a V6 4L, so tht u wl not be dissapointed like me. i wish toyota can exchange my 2.7 with a V6 for some cash.
good luck
bye Feroz
INTRUDER XXV

My Ride: Fortuner 4x4
My Profession: Automobile Engineer
My Dream Ride: Lamborghini / Austin Martin

Postby root on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Everyone who got the 2.7 engine regrets that! The way I see is that both are respectable options and have a place.

The 2.7 is a good City SUV. It does not give you the acceleration (specially with full load), but it also keeps you from getting speeding tickets (maybe not a problem in Saudi, but very much a problem here).

The 4.0 is a great engine, and specially for desert or hilly terrains. If you want to do serious off-roading, then this is the one to get.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby huzi_sav on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:21 am

Hi,

Currently in the same dilemma of getting a decent 7-seater 4X4 vehicle for the family outings. based on the above would the new Fortuner (2.7L) Sport be a good option if one is not looking for desert off-roading.. Just good city driving.. decent enough mileage and a smooth ride?

Ive heard a few offs about the 2.7 but just wanted to know if the indonesian / thailand made would really make a difference or the Toyota backing is enough to just go for it..

please advise.. thanks
huzi_sav

My Ride: Honda Civic 2008
My Profession: Network Engineer
My Dream Ride: Jaguar X Type

Postby T.N.T on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:49 pm

In short, Toyota backing is enough.
Please make a new topic next time so that it is easier to spot and your query will be answered quicker. :)
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Return to Car Buying Advice