Used prices and negotiation

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Used prices and negotiation

Postby mwkidd1 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:14 am

First time buyer in Dubai but have bought in USA and UK.

Moved to Dubai last month and looking to buy an X5 or Cayenne for the wife so wanted recently used (2007 or 2008) model with the small / V6 engine. Will be paying cash.
Experience so far:
a) new models are on waitlists but I cannot wait since I need to stop renting cars
b) the smaller engine models V6 are less common here and hard to find
c) new prices for BMW X5 are like 20% more than comparable US spec model in US market while Porsche are nearly the same new in Dubai versus USA

I searched the boards and found a couple of posts but nothing definitive on the following questions:

1) Is there a good source for used car prices other than searching the for-sale sections of web (autodealer, autotrader, dubizzle, gulf news wheels)? In the USA, www.KBB.com shows data for used prices but the Dubai market does not seem to follow these.

2) If one has to use the for-sale postings in Dubai for prices, what is the typical discount one can get (from used dealer and from used private party) - ie if the average ask is AED 180k what do you offer 150k or 170k?

3) For an exact same options/miles/year 2007 BMW X5, how much less would you pay for a private sale US spec (import) with a clear history from an expat versus a GCC spec from a private person?

4) For a 2006 Porsche Cayenne V6 with 20-30k kms, a few used dealers are offering with decent options for AED 160-180k. Is this price right for Dubai or what should I end up paying?

Any related advice would be appreciated.
mwkidd1

My Ride: Need one!
My Profession: Finance
My Dream Ride: 911

Re: Used prices and negotiation

Postby T.N.T on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:51 am

mwkidd1 wrote:1) Is there a good source for used car prices other than searching the for-sale sections of web (autodealer, autotrader, dubizzle, gulf news wheels)? In the USA, http://www.KBB.com shows data for used prices but the Dubai market does not seem to follow these.

Sadly, no. There is no such 'used car appraisal' system.

mwkidd1 wrote:2) If one has to use the for-sale postings in Dubai for prices, what is the typical discount one can get (from used dealer and from used private party) - ie if the average ask is AED 180k what do you offer 150k or 170k?

170k is almost fine but 150k is a bit too less than the asking price. Don't try that :)

mwkidd1 wrote:3) For an exact same options/miles/year 2007 BMW X5, how much less would you pay for a private sale US spec (import) with a clear history from an expat versus a GCC spec from a private person?

Around 20k less.

mwkidd1 wrote:4) For a 2006 Porsche Cayenne V6 with 20-30k kms, a few used dealers are offering with decent options for AED 160-180k. Is this price right for Dubai or what should I end up paying?

That price is a bit steep even after considering the mileage. It never hurts to negotiate :)

Do post if you have any other queries!
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Re: Used prices and negotiation

Postby root on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:28 pm

I think TNT answered everything so very little to add.

We don't have KBB here (yet) but this site gives you pretty good statistics as it has a very large database of cars. Go to advanced Search and you'll be able to get a good idea on what the price range is.

V6s are less on the resale market as they sell less here (less in circulation, less in resale market). Reason being that the price difference between V6 and V8 models is not that huge, but other features difference is big. For example, if you get V6 Cayenne and put in all the options you get with the V8, you end up paying about the same price but with a smaller engine.

Cayenne second-market is hard. New cars are selling on premium, so even a year old car does not lose much value. For X5, the second hand market is not as great, but as BMW just raised their prices significantly, the second hands are selling at the same price they were sold as new in 2007.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Return to Car Buying Advice