SL55 with new motor!

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

SL55 with new motor!

Postby kaunas on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:49 pm

I have been offered an '05 SL55 Benz, done 60Klms. Sure it looks great and seems to do everything well but............... I know it has recently had a new engine put in at the Dealer! This to me raises a red flag or am I being to conservative because I want things to be nice 'n easy and as the factory delivered it?

I have had no reason for the replacement, except it was 'knocking'. This could many many things but I believe that it may have been driven hard. Although, with all the techo' stuff in these cars is it still possible to stress these engines to this point? I would have thought that the gearbox would have gone first.

Any advice or similar encounters, I would be appreciate to here from you.
kaunas
Cruiser
Cruiser

Re: SL55 with new motor!

Postby T.N.T on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:10 pm

Go for it! The SL55 is a beauty and since the engine has been changed at the dealer, you don't need to worry. Another advantage is that its an all new motor.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby kaunas on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:33 pm

Surely the price has to take a knock, don't you think? The guy is asking approx' 180
kaunas
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby T.N.T on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:44 am

I don't have any idea on market value but personally I don't think the price should be low for that reason. It was a pretty legible swap (company done) and you are in fact at an advantage.
Did the reset the mileage with the new motor?
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby kaunas on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:00 am

No, the mileage was not reset, which I prefer.

I need to do some more home work on its value and try to convince myself the rest of the car will not stuff up too.
kaunas
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby T.N.T on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:44 pm

Trust me it won't. An engine swap isn't a big deal. It happens all the time.
If you are a 101% sure that the swap was done at the dealers, nothing to worry about at all!
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby kaunas on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:58 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. If it all comes together, it will be a fun drive for a little while :wink:
kaunas
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby kapil on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:52 pm

180 k for 2005 sl 55 is ok, but the engine swap should bring up your antenas!!

Check the tyres for the manufacture date and batch number. If the car has been driven less they should all match and be close to the manufacture date of the car. another thing you really want to check throughly is any frontal body damage.....

check the apron joints under the bonnet check teh a-pillar for any bends or welding and buffing. You should be able to notice the later if there is anything else than spot welding marks. the apron joints should have a rubber-plastic kind of thing smeared roughly.. you can match it with the way it is in the boot joints... if it is exactly teh same good if not then.......

like tnt said engine swap is a good thing for you but be carefull about the other things....

also, i am not sure if there is any way of checking for any complaints or accidents with the police here regarding teh car. If there is then do check it, especially in a case like this....

all the best.....
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Wrangler YJ - 95
My Profession: ****
My Dream Ride: Sukohi Su 30-mki

Postby root on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:28 am

My 2 fils to this conversation...engine swaps happen if the cars done a lot of mileage (which would also cause wear and tear in other parts, so look out for that), or some kind of frontal damage (which means look out for it as it might be accidented).

In rare cases, it might just be some engine issue which Mercedes changed. Have heard very very few cases of this for any car.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby kaunas on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:50 pm

I am going to site the VIN this week and try to verify things with Gargash.

The body seams and tyres will of course get checked but would be very surprised if it still had factory fitted tyres still on it. After I have seen it and if it appears to be a dog, I will leave it chained up where it is 8)
kaunas
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby kapil on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:46 am

all the best
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Wrangler YJ - 95
My Profession: ****
My Dream Ride: Sukohi Su 30-mki

Postby root on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:31 pm

hope it works out..the SL55 is a dream drive for me!
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Return to Car Buying Advice