How is Prado 2.7 as an offroader?

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

How is Prado 2.7 as an offroader?

Postby SINGH on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:26 pm

Dear all,

I am planning to buy a new Prado 2.7 ltr .I would like to know if 2.7 ltr has enough power to go for dune bashing.I heard from one of my friends that he has seen people taking 2.7 ltr into the desert.
I might like to take it for offroading but more importantly i need to satisfy myself with the fact that my vehicle is capable of doing that.
One of my friends has a nissan xtrail and had asked me how much power does your prado has, when I told him 2.7 liter he said better go for xtrail as it has more features and is cheaper.
one day he took his xtrail to the beach and got stuck until a wrangler got him out.I don't want that to face this with my prado.
also I don't like Xtrail as its just a 4x4 car with good ground clearance. the tires are so small just like a camry.
I was not happy :x with his comparison of a xtrail to the prado.
Also I read in one of the review website from KSA which said the 2.7 ltr is barely enough to move this vehicle and on the other hand an australian website said both the prado engines(4 ltr & 2.7 ltr) are very refined and gives a smooth feel with good power.

I hope 2.7 ltr doesn't have to struggle to reach 100 kmh mark, I still haven't tested it.
I just want to know that its not a weak engine.

Please help me clear my doubts.

Thank you.
Singh
SINGH
Tuner
Tuner

Re: How is Prado 2.7 as an offroader?

Postby T.N.T on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:48 pm

Two words: Forget it.
2.7l wouldn't take you anywhere.
A 2.5l X-Trail is a faster and more powerful soft-roader because it produces more power and weighs 600kg less.
Anyways, a new Prado is expected in 2009 so I suggest you look elsewhere.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:13 am

Well, let me add a bit here.
If you have the 3-door 2.7liter Prado then its fine for Dune Bashing and I've seen people take that. If you have the 5-door 2.7liter then as TNT said its a bit too heavy for the engine to do any serious dune bashing. You can take it in the desert and do the off-road things, but don't expect to drive up the 45 degree dunes. The tires, suspensions and 4x4 features are very good, but the engine power is limited. Also, you'll ruin your vehicle by rev-ing it too high in the desert.

Top speed...well, on a highway, the tops up around 140-150 km/h, unless you are going downhill where you can get 160 km/h. But this is with the accelerator on the floor.

Instead of X-trail, why not look at the Xterra? It's got a 4.0 liter engine and supposedly good for off-roading.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby T.N.T on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:26 pm

Yea, the Xterra rules all. Really powerful engine and a great price, though a sub-par interior.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:46 pm

yeah, interior is not really anything to write about. It reminds me of the Wrangler.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SINGH on Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:49 pm

Thank you both of you for the feedback.I think I will stick with the prado,Xterra has powerful engine but the interior as you said is very bland and I think for a 4 ltr , Fortuner 4ltr is better as the interior feels little better in its 4 ltr and ofcourse it has the advantage of being a toyota.
SINGH
Tuner
Tuner

Postby T.N.T on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:20 pm

The Xterra has a better interior than the Fortuner IMO. Have you seen the tacky trim in the Fortuner :?
I prefer the exterior looks of the Xterra too.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:27 pm

hey fortuner aint bad! All toyota interiors are below par in my view...even the lexuses have become plasticy.

Go with the Fortuner..its a good choice! I'm yet to find someone not happy with it.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SINGH on Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:29 pm

Can you tell me how much difference will it make in the mileage if i take 2.7 ltr prado or if I take 4 ltr one.I mean how many miles per gallon for each.I don't want it to happen like I pay more for the 4 ltr and pay double for the fuel compared to what I would pay for 2.7 ltr.

I know it would depend on the running also but that would be mainly during the weekends.
SINGH
Tuner
Tuner

Postby SINGH on Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:50 pm

Root you also have a prado, is it a 4 ltr or 2.7 ltr. and why did you buy that? it was brand new or old? what is the mileage you are getting?now what do you will it poke a hole in my pocket if I go for the 4 ltr one instead of 2.7 ltr.
SINGH
Tuner
Tuner

Postby root on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:39 pm

I never do mileage calculations ;) otherwise I'd be driving a Toyota Yaris.

I've had the 4.0 liter the 2.7 liter and also the 3.0 liter diesel (yeah!).

Mileage wise a 6 cylinder uses about 50% more than a 4 cylinder one.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SINGH on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:07 pm

I have finally decided to settle for a 4 ltr Prado, any comments? any suggestions or things to keep in mind.what about rustproofing is it neccessary?
SINGH
Tuner
Tuner

Postby root on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:38 pm

Good choice! Welcome to owning the most popular 4x4 in UAE!

Rustproofing...nah, I don't believe it adds anything but Al-Futtaim would love to sell you that. I'm yet to see a rusty Prado. It's really upto you. My neighbor got it done but from outside as he knew someone who did it cheaper...it made him feel better.

What color are you getting?
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SINGH on Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:31 pm

Pearl white, I think for the extreme summer that is the best and also the beige interior with wooden trim suits well. I also like black but will have to do the dusting every now and then and will also absorb heat in the open sun. what color you have ?
SINGH
Tuner
Tuner

Postby root on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:52 pm

Pearl white! It's good!

Try to see if you can get the white door step trims as well as it looks good:

root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Car Buying Advice