Jeep Grand Cherokee - anyone got one?

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Jeep Grand Cherokee - anyone got one?

Postby laneboy on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:04 pm

Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a Grand Cherokee but wanted to first find out if anyone has/had one and had any advice on them?

Looking at the 1999, 00, 01, 02 and 03 model special editions.

Do they go well in the desert?
What are repair costs like?
After what mileage should you avoid them?
Prices seem to range but what's a good price for say 2001 model with 50,000 miles on the clock?

Cheers
laneboy

i've seen them in the desert

Postby root on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:23 pm

Hey...never owned a Grand Cherokee so I cannot say much about repair costs, etc.

However, I have seen them several times in the desert. They are powerful cars and are definitely fine with offroading. You might need to upgrade some things like the tires, etc but that goes for most other 4x4s as well. End of the day it depends how good a driver you are.

If you are not in a rush, keep on looking on www.autodealer.ae and every now and then you will find someone who needs to get rid of their Grand Cherokee and selling at a discount. Jeep and other american 4x4 do not have an as easy second-hand market as the japanese 4x4s do.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby Aadilish on Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:54 am

Hi,

Cherokees are great in the desert. But I don't receommend them for very regular desesrt outings as the repair costs can become steep. I have had to eventually replace all engine mountings and some suspension bushers (AED1100 from outside garage). Also the interior panels develop squeaks which are at times very difficlut to trace and silence.

Unlike many other American cars, i find them very reliable and reasonably low on running costs. I have driven mine 130k kms and other than some suspension work, I have yet to spend anything other than the regular maintenence i.e oil and filter changes etc.
Aadilish

wrangler?

Postby sushi on Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:02 am

I cant stand squeaking cars! Is this because the Grand Cherokee is probably really a city SUV that you can take off-track but not really fly over dunes with?

What about the Wrangler? Is it also squeaking after some rough desert driving? Maybe one never notices the sound with all the sound coming from outside with the open roof.
sushi
Tuner
Tuner

Cherokee

Postby navadv on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:00 am

Cherokee is good in the desert, but as Adil said, u *may* have to pay for it...

Just a question.... but, are you only looking at Cherokees? or others as well...

Cherokee's have a very light body, and a powerful - "full of torque" - engine.
But, it really depends on what ur really going to use it for.

A friend of mine has a Nissan Patrol, Landcruiser and Cherokee (02). He loves all of them dearly, but to him - he finds his Patrol best in the desert. His brother however thinks the Cherokee is, and his dad thinks the Cruiser !!! ( heheheh )
However, the one they use the most, and have least trouble with is the older Patrol (its a 00 model).

My suggestion - keep ur options open :) - there are *similar* 4X4's that u may want to check out as well....
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

Postby dayani on Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:15 pm

what about pathfinder??
:D
dayani
Dragster
Dragster

Postby navadv on Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:21 am

yea check out the new Pathfinder in showrooms!!

4.0L Engine - 291 Hp and over 300 lb. ft of Torque!!

seems to be really good!!!!
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

Return to Car Buying Advice