My First Car Choice, any advice? please, please!

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

My First Car Choice, any advice? please, please!

Postby James Bie on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:34 am

Hi, Good Regards to Every Body here.

I am a new here and never driven a car before, I am under processing to get a UAE license and planning to buy a 2nd car for my first option. My accommodation is not far from my working place so no need to drive frequently. I prefer a SUV as it's safe and most likely will go to the desert occasionally. But also I like coupe or sport car as I am young 23 years old, for this consideration I would like to give up my desert surfing at this moment as the driven skill is not so good. This is my situation here. Sedan is not in my consideration as I am living alone here.

As my budget is around 30k-50k, Root, TNT, any other ppl please kindly do give my some suggestions which kind of car is more suitable for me, SUV or A Coupe.

For the SUV brand, I am thinking about Toyota RAV4(Fortune?) or old Prado, MITSUBISHI Pojero, Land Rover Freelander, Jeep Wrangler.

For the coupe brand, I am thinking about 206CC, Hyundai Coupe, MITSUBISHI Eclipse, any other better or good ones would be in my consideration.

Awaiting your good suggestions!
James Bie
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby root on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:06 pm

Ok..23 years, new driver, dubai...you better get a SUV ;)

Ok for 30k-50k you are not going to get something large and newish...you'll be looking at large and oldish, or small and newish. Given that you probably dont know much about cars (I'm assuming given you're a new driver), its safer to go with newish as old cars do require more workshop trips and opening the hood. Try to buy something newer than 2003 atleast.

For SUV, if you can find a good RAV4 and 3-door Pajero or Prado that would be an excellent buy. Wranglers are a bit of a drag comfort wise but you can get something in your budget. Stay away from the Freelander.
First choice would be probably RAV4.

For coupes, the 206 Peugeot is affordable but a bit of a girly car IMHO. Hyundai Coupe is definitely nice and worth its money and you'll find something nice in your budget. Resale is a bit of an issue but at the 30-50k range you cant lose that much more money ;)
Eclipse is very nice..if you find a nice model go for it. I would think its hard to find one as there are'nt many around.
Given the above 3, I would choose Eclipse first.

You have a few more choices as well in your price range, like you can get some imported Ford Mustangs convertibles (but be careful on what you buy), Chevy Luminas.

On the SUV front, do look at Hyundai Santa Fe or Tucson, Kia Sorento and Nissan X-trail. They are all good options that would fit your budget hopefully.

What you should do is use the Advanced Search page:
http://www.autodealer.ae/plugins/ad/advsearch.php

Put in your price range on 25k-50k and models 2003-2007 and see what pops up. You'll get a pretty good range of your choices given the 250,000 car database.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby James Bie on Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:17 pm

Hi, Root, Thanks very much for your professional suggestion.

Actually I don't know that much about cars but somehow always go for the brand first, Toyota is definitely a reliable choice as I know and have a good resale.
It seem like RAV4 is preferable and first choice to me and also 3 door Pajero or Prado. If I can find those models newer than 2003 in my budget, I will serious think about it. Hyundai Santa Fe or Tucson, Kia Sorento and Nissan X-trail, I will look for more information on these models, properly all perform well. :roll:
Thanks telling me that let me keep away from Freelander, as I thought if I buy an old model of Freelander or Wrangler at a low price, whatever like to would been sent into the garage and workshops often, that I can know more about the cars and come to be more professional like you guys :P , as I am not a often driver. But now it seems like I am wrong, maybe it's not worth to pay that too much time on the old models.

As it's safe to be in the SUV, and not that much sport car in consideration and budegt, I will get rid of this in my mind.

Anyway, thanks very much. appreciate that see more your suggestions here.
James Bie
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby T.N.T on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:32 pm

Good decision. As you said, you won't exactly get a 'sports car' considering your budget.
You have a lot of choices within 50k. root has given you the right list of cars to look out for. You can get a Sorento real cheap and they are usually well equipped. I think you should even look for the Kia Sportage. Its a mechanical twin of the Tucson but it surely gets better resale. Keep the Prado 3-dr as your first priority because they are very reliable and awesome off-roaders. The 3-dr Pajero is also awesome but i think the Prado is better.
You've got a budget of 50k, so don't even consider a Wrangler or Freelander.
1 thing, don't go for anything more than 5 years old.
Eclipse isn't a sensible choice root, as all of them here are imported models, though I don't think parts availability is a problem.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby James Bie on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:04 pm

WOW, you know what, I am really a big fun of 3 door Prado as I am living here alone, no family. No need to carry ppl and big case. But I have checked the prices here, the 2nd 3 door Prado which are newer than 2003 is 60k or 70k something. I am considering Pajero only because of another alternative. Anyway it's a little bit out of budget both of these models.

RAV4 then is the one I am looking for under my budget, but I don't know how to make this desicion between RAV4 and Prado, one is cheaper and good, the other one is preferable and lovable, but a little bit more cost.

Hyundai Santa Fe is a mothball choice if the desicion comes to depend on the price. I like the style of Santa Fe but brand is the only weakness.

BTW. Who want to sell his/her 3 door Prado please tell me if at a reasonable price. :D Thanks

Freelander and Wrangler, a little bit disappointed as I like the model.
James Bie
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby T.N.T on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:58 pm

I LOVE the Wrangler. Its such an icon like Levi's jeans or Zippo lighters. I would certainly buy it if I wanted a brash off-roader. I don't recommend it to other people because most of them prefer reliability, comfort etc.etc.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby James Bie on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:04 pm

Yes, I agree with you, I am not a crazy surfer nut. Actually I have to learn how to drive in the desert.
James Bie
Cruiser
Cruiser

Re: My First Car Choice, any advice? please, please!

Postby pitbull on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:08 pm

Dear James, in simple worlds and very shortly, i recomend for an suv the jeep wrangler ... i own 1 myslef and its seriously fun to drive and since you dont drive for long distances from home to work i highly recomend it.

Never go for the eclipse, in the UAE mitsubishi spare parts for these cars are very hard to find hence are very expensive when found.

The 206 is a girly car and its not a safe car either, plus it has no resale value, i recomend the mini cooper..

Then again this is my opinion and i hope it helps.
pitbull
Rookie
Rookie

Postby WSF on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:30 pm

how about a mitsubishi galant??
HYUNDAI'S 1st unofficial community for the UAE..
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby James Bie on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:50 pm

Hi, Thank you very much for your recommendation of Wrangler, I really like this model as it's so cool driving on the road, however I heard the AC is not so good, most of time here you have to suffer this hot bad outside, anyway, a good choice in the winter. I know the wrangler is cheap to buy but the price of Jeep spare parts is much higher then Toyota and others, especially I am considering a Used Car. Fuel is my last concern as I won't driven so often in a near future.

If I am wrong please correct me, I am looking forward to more information about this car as you are a owner, and any other choices.

I am now not considering the coupes anymore, but I like MINI very much.

Come on, Guys!
James Bie
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby T.N.T on Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:10 pm

You wanna go for the Wrangler, be my guest. It is pretty cool and since fuel mileage isn't a big problem for you, just buy it!
Just follow your heart. If you like the Wrangler more than the Prado, then buy it.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby James Bie on Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:24 pm

Definitely I prefer Prado more than Wrangler, however the prices is not on the same level. I think about the RAV4 as a compromise.

Really hard to make the decision. Is A/C the only problem on the Wrangler, seems have to spend a lot on the maintenance and spare parts. If go for Prado or RAV4, I can get rid of this kinda things which has a good resale.

:?: :?: :?: :( :( :(
James Bie
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby T.N.T on Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:42 pm

Go for the Prado. That's it. Start looking for one now and be sure that its the current shape:

This pic is of my fav colour and trim. Its a full options 4.0l VX and the exterior colour is 'White Pearl Crystal Shine'.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby James Bie on Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:52 pm

:D :D
Nice Picture! Cool!

I saw a black one yesterday downstairs my building on Sheick Zayed Road, I stared at that one for 3 minutes, lol. :oops:

Do you know how much is it, I think GX 2.7 is a bit cheaper than VX 4.0.

Anyone who want to sell his/her Prado GX 2.7 or VX4.0 please let me know. Be Cheap Be Cheap!

Cheers!
James Bie
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby T.N.T on Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:05 pm

If you are talking about a new one, then I guess its 97k+.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Next

Return to Car Buying Advice