Japan or Gulf?

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Japan or Gulf?

Postby rmhumr on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:13 pm

Been looking at BMW's 3 series. Alot around that are japan imports. Most are very clean and took one for a test drive and a mechanic test and it was great. But at 40,000kms for a 2001 model that seems too good to be true.

On the other hand gulf models typically have more miles, but many more extras (japanese didn't even have cruise control).

why are they importing cars from japan anyways? are they that much cheaper there that its worth their time? it just seems fishy.
rmhumr

Postby T.N.T on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:08 pm

Most of these 'Japanese" Bimmers are actually reconditioned ones and not exactly Japanese cars. (Japan has RHD!) Cars from around the globe are sent to a plant in Nagasaki who fit transmissions, A/C systems etc.etc. and then they sell them off. This business can be very profitable with sellers here earning as much as 20k per car. Very few cars are faulty and the dealers here only buy working models.
Whatever it is, I STILL don't recommend anyone to buy these cars as it still remains 'fishy' as you said. Just take your time and look for a GCC spec BMW 3 series.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

just to add..

Postby root on Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:09 am

of lately a lot of the cars coming off/via japan have been stolen as well. This is a big problem and buying a stolen car other than ethically wrong, can also end up in you losing if found out by authorities.

but there are still LHDs from Japan you can get that are legit, and in good shape and at a bargain price...you need to search around a bit.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Re: Japan or Gulf?

Postby pitbull on Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:30 pm

Up and Straight never buy a car from Japan, they cannot be trusted, none of the people i know where happy with the cars they have bought imported from japan. They always face problems shter a month or 2.

My advise get a GCC car safer and better.
pitbull
Rookie
Rookie

Return to Car Buying Advice