Registration of vehicles 10+ years old to be stopped?

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Registration of vehicles 10+ years old to be stopped?

Postby Transcendentalist on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:38 am

Hello All.. I heard that this rule is going to be implemented from next year on. Can someone confirm on this please?

TIA
Transcendentalist
Rookie
Rookie

Postby WSF on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:49 am

U gotta b kiddin me!!! WTF is going on??? we cant even keep an 10 year old car?? wht if i like dat car?? or even how can i sell it if nobody can register it??
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby T.N.T on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:58 am

I think its just a rumour because the government would give a notice atleast 6 months in advance. And anyways, its crazy!
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby WSF on Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:03 am

Now we cant own da car we like, plus we have 2 pay 4dhs on every checkpoint on garhoud brdge and sh zayed rd. also we cant do any mods on our cars?? This isnt an excuse 2 save us drivers from traffic!!!!

If RTA spent those billions of dirhams on expanding the roads in dubai 3-5 years ago instead of the metro project then we wouldnt have that much traffic 2day and we wouldnt needed a metro at the 1st place. Also couldve drove a 20 year old car or even a turboed car and nobody will have any problem....
HYUNDAI'S 1st unofficial community for the UAE..
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

environment

Postby root on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:25 am

WSF, you are not really the environmental friendly type ;)

My take on the roads is that Dubai roads are probably the best I've seen anywhere in the world and RTA is doing a pretty good job, but it would have helped if they also believed (and acted) on how fast Dubai would grow.

You can add 20 more lanes and I will guarantee you that there will be stoppages. The only solution out of this is good public transport with economic incentives to take those. I think the Metro is great, needed and should have already been there. I would gladly park my car, and take the metro to go to Diera or the Airport from Bur Dubai than getting stuck in traffic.
I would definitely go more often to sharjah on a clean nice metro if it was available.

The problem in Dubai is the same as in every other country...look around next time you are driving, most cars have 1 person in them. Its because the husbands got his car, the wife her own.
Many places have tried to reduce the cars on the road by promoting car pooling, which I think is a great idea.
In US, many highways have a Car Pool lane where you can drive on only if you are more than 1 person in the car. This lane is normally the emptiest and fastest, so the incentive is there.

In a way the toll on Sh Zayed will promote car pooling as people will be more inclined to share rides.

Another thing that many countries do, and can be done here is to create dedicated Bus lanes on all major roads and improve the bus network. If you can take the bus and reach your destination in 10 minutes vs sitting in traffic for 1 hour, I would take the bus.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

on old cars!

Postby root on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:31 am

I hope this old car thing does not come into force. For one it only drives up alraedy high inflation in this country.

Secondly, I'll need to get rid of my ride which I dont want to ;)

This thing has been discussed for quite some time. I just hope they dont act on it anytime soon. Besides the point of the yearly registration and check-up is to see if the car is fit for the traffic, so as long as you do that, why the time limit? I would think that RTA and Tasjeel lose on this proposition.

Only one benefiting are the car dealers, who already are making more than they should over here :)
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby WSF on Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:47 pm

Age of a car has nothin 2 do with traffic.. i c 1-2 year old cars break down on the road trust me all cars break down!!! age is no excuse... What about classic cars or tuner cars like those old civics?? As long as the car fits certain standards then dats fine despite its age...
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

ferraris

Postby root on Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:12 pm

I've seen people push starting a 1 year old Ferrari!
That was a funny sight.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby T.N.T on Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:26 pm

RTA has a misconception that throwing big money solves problems. For example the A/C bus stops. It won't encourage people to use the bus. Instead, they should just focus on improving the routes which suck!
Hehe, 1 year old Ferrari, where did you see this? :lol:

Age of a car has nothin 2 do with traffic.. i c 1-2 year old cars break down on the road trust me all cars break down!!! age is no excuse... What about classic cars or tuner cars like those old civics?? As long as the car fits certain standards then dats fine despite its age...

I completely agree.

This thing has been discussed for quite some time. I just hope they dont act on it anytime soon. Besides the point of the yearly registration and check-up is to see if the car is fit for the traffic, so as long as you do that, why the time limit?

True!

My take on the roads is that Dubai roads are probably the best I've seen anywhere in the world and RTA is doing a pretty good job, but it would have helped if they also believed (and acted) on how fast Dubai would grow.

There was a documentary on BBC about traffic problems in Dubai and they seem to think the same way. Dubai has grown very fast and with development, workforce and tourists comes huge traffic. Maybe they didn't expect such growth or were just sleeping! :P

The problem in Dubai is the same as in every other country...look around next time you are driving, most cars have 1 person in them. Its because the husbands got his car, the wife her own.

Right! Ive seen Armadas and Land Cruisers which are completely empty! This is just a mindless waste of fuel and I think that if they allowed more than one job here, people wouldn't waste their time on the road so much.
The toll on SZR might reduce traffic but not drastically because most people on that road are either going, or coming from work. It will just be an extra useless tax like the many in use currently.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

rent did'nt scare people, so neither will tolls

Postby root on Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:03 pm

yeah, whats an extra 8 dirhams a day for the person who has already gone on with an extra 2000-3000 per month in rent.

Its like driving a car that guzzles 2 gallons more fuel per day...big deal!
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby T.N.T on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:39 pm

Rent is going crazy in Dubai. Smashing through the ceiling! My previous apartment's rent was increased by 15k AED! :shock:
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby WSF on Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:12 pm

Da problem is everything asks 4 more money but gives less benefits...
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby Transcendentalist on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:41 pm

Well from what i have heard it is very likely to be implemented in Sharjah which i believe is a major dumping ground for all old cars thoug the 10 years is highly infeasible. However i did call up the vehicle testing department in Dubai and spoke to a customer care officer, He said there wont be any laws passed this yesr. When i did ask him about next year, all he said was if it happens it happens, cant say for sure. Now knowing the whimsical Dubai Govt, i wont be surprised if they decide to do that.
Transcendentalist
Rookie
Rookie

Return to Car Buying Advice