lady with a few questions!!

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

lady with a few questions!!

Postby girlracer on Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:02 pm

Hello there, hope someone out there can help me a bit!

I want to buy a vehicle for max 25000dhs in Dubai.

I'm hoping to buy either:

1)sporty looking golf around the year 2000 as I've seen some I like for this price and I had a gti beore I came here

OR

2) 4x4- is this possible?? I know my options are limited with this price, I have been eyeing up Hyundai Gallopers (mmm??) and have seen a few other older models e.g. wranglers on various websites?? Something reliable to drive along the beach without falling apart!

My other convern is private or dealer??

I check regularly on their website but is the UCC a reputable place to buy a car as well as adverts in Spinney's?

I realise it is probably cheaper via private deal, what checklist do I need to ensure I have all the correct paperwork?? I

I have my read and researched and been eating red tape book for dinner but some answers rom real people would help!

Thank you :?
girlracer
Tuner
Tuner

welcome!

Postby root on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:27 pm

First of all Welcome! Good to have some ladies joining the boards.

At 25k, you are really setting the limit rather low. You will definitely find something, but it'll be a bit old and over here that means a bit more frequent trips to the garage.

Golfs are good, Wranglers are good..dont know much about the Galloper.
Wrangler can be driven around the beach but not the golf ;)

Instead of Golf, you might want to look for Peugeots 206 or 307. They are small sportyish in your price range. Or some real american sports cars like Camaros might be available (but they will require more maintenance).

On the 4x4 front, there's not much choice in the same price range. Maybe an old Pajero 2 door?

Private or Dealer?
Well, private is always better price wise. Dealers will add 2-20k on top of the price...its their living.

Some dealers are good and give guarantee, do check-ups etc, but that is only for newer cars and higher prices. The places for this are Automall (which I think are rip-offs but others like), Autoplus, Al-Yousaf motors.

Spinneys is a good source, so is this website :)
Whatever you do, follow some simple rules:
- look at the car condition in daylight (not at night)
- take the car for test drive
- look at the service history
- look how many owners its had (try to go for 1 or 2)

and before buying, take it to a garage and spend 100-200 dhms to get it checked up. Its worth it!

Transfer is easy! You need to get the insurance done (normally you can just transfer the sellers onto your name). You'll probably only get 3rd party for old vehicles anyway.

Once that is done, go to Tasjeel (many around town) and do the paperwork there for the transfer. This takes about an hour including waiting time.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby T.N.T on Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:16 pm

The first female member? I guess so!
Root has answered all of your questions but here are my thoughts:

25,000 is not so less but it certainly limits your options.
A Golf is a nice car to own. Reliable and good-looking. Find one that has under 100k kms on it and it should be a well-equipped model as you will get better resale afterwards.
You had a GTi? That's pretty slick!
Don't buy the Galloper! It isn't any good and sells slow.
A Wrangler is good, but most of them are manual transmission models and you won't get anything newer than 1998.
Adverts in Spinneys are good places because they usually have some good deals as cars normally featured there are those which are hard to sell.
My question: You first car in the U.A.E?
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby WSF on Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:44 am

25000 is a narrow range... could get you an old yet good condition car... Why not check out for a 2nd hand Suzuki Jimny. Most of them r usually tough.
HYUNDAI'S 1st unofficial community for the UAE..
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby girlracer on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:27 pm

hi guys

thans for the advice!! Possibly considering extending the budget a bit..found this 4x4 on the UAE 4x4 motors car dealer website...what do you think? is this showroom ok??

Data:
Car Id : 07198
Model Year : 1998
Transmission : Automatic
Engine Type : V6
Engine Capacity : 3.0 LTR
Warranty : Gulf warranty
Exterior Color : Green
Type of Seats : Leather
Price : 39,950/- Dhs

Description:
Power Windows, Power Steering, Power Locks, Power Mirrors, 4WheelDrive, Am/Fm Radio, Single CDPlayer, Sunroof
Special Features:
Alloys, Leather seats
Remarks:

1998 MITSUBISHI PAJERO, GLS, LWB
"AUTOMATIC"
Finished in green over silver metallic with contrasting leather seats, alloys, steps, sunroof, woodpack, CD, dual airbags, cruise, remote entry and more.
IMMACULATE THROUGHOUT
ONLY 39`950/-
225BHP, V6, 3.0LTR
girlracer
Tuner
Tuner

mileage?

Postby root on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:48 pm

whats the mileage on the pajero?

Pajeros are nice and sturdy cars. Will guzzle more fuel than your golf for sure.

1998 is about 8 years old, so you can think about certain repair costs. But it depends upon how it has been driven. If its been in a desert and abused stay away. If it was used by a mom to pick up kids from the school then its pretty good. Anyway hard to tell that from seeing the car in a showroom.

4x4 are a reputable dealer, one of the biggest in the region, and I dont get paid to say that. People have mixed thoughts about how honest and clean they are. They do however do some 40 points test and you should be able to see that (and show to some mechanic who understands more).

Price wise, hard to say. You should actually use the Advanced Search feature on this site (http://www.autodealer.ae/plugins/ad/advsearch.php) to see what similar cars are priced at (one of the reason we dont delete old ads is to provide users with this very useful info).

I would guess the right price is around 35k, depending on condition, so you are not far off.

Remember to check tire conditions. These can put you back 1500 easily if you need to change them.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby T.N.T on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:25 pm

Root saved the day! :P
Nice one, seems like a full-options model. Mileage please!
4X4 Motors have a fixed reputation as root said. A relative used to work there and believe me, these people love to rip-off your pocket more than anything else. No wonder they have a few vehicles standing there since months. But if you are getting something in showroom condition, and are willing to pay for it, what are you waiting for? They call themselves no.1 used car dealers of the U.A.E because they actually ARE No.1. Here's the SUV:

I personally don't like Pajeros so I won't make any comments on the looks. :P
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby girlracer on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:03 pm

hello again

I was wondering about the mileage too?? It doesn't seem to be listed..hmm!!

Pajero's wouldn't be top of my list if I had the chance to splash out so aesthetics will have to be 2nd 3rd or 4th on my list!

I saw another one one the used car complex website

Contact Us Location in UCC Showroom
Mitsubishi Pajero io 2003
Pajero IO
Ref. No. 85-7
Make & Model Mitsubishi Pajero io
Category 4x4
Year 2003
Description Good car
Price 32000
Color Sky Blue
Mileage 63000
Cylinders 4
Engine Type V Gasoline
Transmission Manual (shift s
Seats Cloth
Interior Color Grey
Other Options Power Windows
Power Steering
Power Locks
Power Mirrors
Air Bags
ABS
A/C
Cassette Player
Keyless Remote Entry

it's only a two door as well.

I would just like to know if this a reasonable price to be considering?
girlracer
Tuner
Tuner

Postby T.N.T on Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:52 pm

Stay away from IO's. They are weak, uninteresting and plasticky. Once again if all this isn't your top priority, or as you say, isn't on top of your list, go buy it! I think 27k is more than enough as it is 2-dr, 4 years old (nearly) and a base model.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby WSF on Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:14 pm

IOs r terrible.. plus they rust quickly..
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby girlracer on Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:33 am

found this on dubizzle website!!!

Have tried to copy the picture but unsucessully:

"Very reliable and clean manual Wrangler for sale. Leather interior, SONY 10 cd changer, soft top/ hard top available. reg + ins till feb 2007. brand new tyres, well serviced and maintanined. fun jeep to drive. AED 15,000 ono contact 050 8762451"

I know it is ancient but the the picture does look like it has been looked after!!

website http://www.dubizzle.com go to classifieds, then 4x4 and advert reads as jeep wrangler 92

do you think i should go and check it out??
thanks guys :)
girlracer
Tuner
Tuner

Postby WSF on Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:07 am

I always find the wrangler a gr8 car. but i prefer it as a 2nd car not a daily driver... Its a waste of fuel and has unpredictible problems. Id prefer the pajero u mentioned b4 for daily driving
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby girlracer on Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:30 pm

and an other in the dubizzle site...

2001 4 x 4 Green Freelander. Good condition, elec windows, central locking, alarm, alloy wheels. Fun car have to sell as leaving Dubai. Bargin at 27,000dhr Please call 0504368819 / vixchest@hotmail.co.uk

any thoughts????

TNT do you believe personally that even new wranglers are a waste of fuel..or was it just that one?

girlracer
Tuner
Tuner

Postby WSF on Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:39 pm

Freelander is a good car.. i test drove one once... Its powerful and tough.. yet i suggest u ask some one about its spare parts cuz its a rare car here in the UAE...
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby girlracer on Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:01 pm

ok cheers!!

going to see it after work with a friend!!
girlracer
Tuner
Tuner

Next

Return to Car Buying Advice