Converting my license

Discuss which cars to get, where to get them from, tricks and traps to avoid, insurance... Also, great place for First time Car Buyers in UAE!

Moderator: azi malik

Converting my license

Postby Bijan on Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:36 am

Hello! I am new to this forum so please excuse me if this is a stupid question.
I am moving to Dubai end of this month from the US. I have a Californian US driving license. Will I be able to convert it or do I need to go through some driving test again? WHat's the procedure?

Also, my wife has an Iranian driving license. Will she be able to convert hers? I hear there are different rules for every country?

thanks in advance
Bijan
Bijan

driving license

Postby TheEditor on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:34 am

Bijan,
Have you checked the research page on this site?

http://www.autodealer.ae/plugins/ad/research.php

There is information as well as link to the Dubai Police where you can get more info.

In short, both you and your wife should be able to transfer their driving licenses from USA and Iran (I am not 100% certain about Iran anymore though).

The procedure is fairly simple...you go to the police stations traffic dept. There is one near the Al-Barsha exchange (#4) on Sh Zayed Road. Its a one-stop place for everything you need. First you can go get your eyes tested, and then get the form filled out.

Just remember to take with your 3-4 passport size pictures, your original license and passport with residence visa stamped. Also take cash with you as they dont take credit cards and there is no ATM in that building.

Hope this helps!
TheEditor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Driving Licences

Postby navadv on Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:04 pm

Hey,
when i moved here from Canada i had to do a similar thing. Only i think the Editor missed out one crucial point. You need to visit the US Embassy here and get a letter from them stating your DL is valid, original etc. That should cost you between 50 - 100 AED. When you go to the police station you will have to pay about 200 AED to get the licence.

Hope that helps !
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

licence conversion

Postby <none> on Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:59 am

hi, unfortunately the dubai police website doesnt give any information on this subject (typed "licence" in search and got only one english result).

just wanted to know what the procedure was to convert a UK licence to a Dubai licence. The usual passport copies with proof of resident visa, AED100, photographs and..?
How long does the procedure take? Couple hours? longer?
Do i need to get some letter from embassy to say the licence is real (for UK licence) like for the US any need of proof of authenticity?

Would be very helpful if you could tell me the main points in the procedure to convert UK Driveing Licence.

Thank you
<none>

Postby navadv on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:53 am

As was mentioned above, i only know for Canada (sorry mate!) . You can try calling up the station and see what they tell you. I got the letter from the Embassy on one day and went the next day and got my license. Candaian Embassy was well organized- took me less than an hour.
You will have to pay a hundred or so there and some again at the station. Thats all i can help you with
PS - once at the police station, depending on what time you go, aprox. an hour!
Cheers
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

Postby Albertho on Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:35 pm

hey all,

navadv !! wasup bro? :-) hows ure b16 beast?
i had my US licence, u can drive here while on visit visa with the US licence providing you get a temporary licence (matter of 5 minutes). once u get your residence visa stamped on your passport then you go with your original US licence to the traffic dept (i went to the one in Ghusais opposite Galadari Auto) and just get it converted. give your US licence, passport copy, and typed application and i think it was 100dh charge and within 2 minutes they give you your original UAE drivers licence. it doesnt differ in any way to the one you get through driving schools etc, no remarks saying its a foreign converted licence etc and the same previledges.

cheers !!

Alba

2000 SiR
1997 VTi hatch
Albertho

Postby Albertho on Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:36 pm

just make sure you have your US visa stamped on your current passport, this doesnt apply if your a US citizen. I had a small issue coz my visa was stamped on a previous passport.
Albertho

US licenses?

Postby Guest on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:58 am

Its amazing that you can convert US licenses here. Most countries dont allow it as getting a driving license in US is as easy as being able to use a coke vending machine. if you can start the car, drive straight, brake and park in a football field you're passed!

us

Postby reza on Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:57 pm

it is said that if you can chew chewing gum, you can get a drivers license in US :)
reza

Return to Car Buying Advice