Email on Phone. Confused

Discuss anything BUT vehicles. Post your photo shoots, memoirs, personal rants and raves...just keep it civilized!

Moderator: azi malik

Email on Phone. Confused

Postby Brembo on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:35 pm

ok can someone explain what the difference between etisalat's pushmail service (45dhs per month) and their unlimited blackberry service (185dhs) is?
both will let me check and reply to my emails right? why such a big difference in price? does the blackberry plan also include unlimited internet browsing?
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Postby T.N.T on Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:43 pm

Blackberry is actually an e-mail client affiliated with the phone. By sucsribing to the Blackberry service, you can use the Blackberry e-mail client, which you cannot using pushmail. The Blackberry service includes pushmail among others.
Just Google it and find out more, it is something really addictive for business users thus the nickname 'Crackberry' :P
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby Brembo on Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:01 pm

but still why the high price difference? both will let me check my emails?
is it like the difference between a 350z and a f430? :D
lol make me understand in the only language i speak (CARS)
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby T.N.T on Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:49 pm

No its like the difference between a 350Z and a DB9. Front engine, rear wheel drive, almost equally fast. :P Aston (Blackberry) just has loads of prestige, badge value and leather to back it up, while the 350Z can perform too but costs as much as the Aston's engine. Clear enough? :D
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby Brembo on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:48 pm

crystal :)
i think i'l go with the 350z for now :P
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby root on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:46 pm

Well, let me add a bit to this.

Blackberry is normally available in 2 different modes. One is for internet or simple POP/IMAP email servers and the other for Microsoft Exchange and IBM Lotus Notes.

For the first one, I believe the features are fairly similar to the Pushmail service. They both let you check email off Yahoo or Gmail or your corporate email server that has POP/IMAP.

The second one is a bit more smart, but it also requires that you have BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) installed at your company next to your MS Exchange or IBM Notes server. This allows you to do pushmail much more smartly...this means, if you read an email on the Blackberry it gets marked read, if you reply to an email it automatically saves a copy in your Sent To folder, etc. Hence, its like using email on your computer. I like this part of it, as you've read and done your email and your inbox is then clear/taken care of. In the pushmail case, its just forwarded, so you later on need to always go back and delete or re-read those messages.

However, most people in UAE use the Blackberry as a forward mail device, and hence pushmail is probably as good.

The other good thing about the Blackberry package from Etisalat is that you can get unlimited free GPRS data with it. For the 299 AED package you get unlimited free GPRS even when roaming...which is insanely cheap as it probably costs Etisalat more.

In car terms....hmmmm...I guess the Aston gives you unlimited free service and fuel which makes a difference if you drive a lot. Also, the Aston makes you less tired and more productive if used properly.

(That was hard)
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby Brembo on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:56 pm

thanks root, that was the longest post ive seen here.
one more question, can i subscribe to the pushmail service (45dhs per month) and then use it on a blackberry? on the etisalat website the blackberry is not on list of compatible devices with the etisalat pushmail service
http://www.etisalat.ae/index.jsp?lang=e ... 05000a____
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby root on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:12 pm

Good question..The Blackberry does have J2ME support so potentially it should work with the J2ME client...but I guess if it does not work, Etisalat is not going to try to help you figure out the problem.

Its the same...you can get a Blackberry client for most of the Nokia E-series and new SonyEricsson phones as well, but Etisalat does not really know how to support those.

I think the company Etisalat is using for this is Seven (www.seven.com). They also dont list RIM or Blackberry as a supported client.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby T.N.T on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:55 pm

Yes, a Blackberry phone will support pushmail.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby ewap8 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:17 pm

A blackberry phone with blackberry service will let you browse the net, while push email is for just that - email
ewap8
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Infiniti FX (2010)
My Profession: N/A
My Dream Ride: Aston Martin V12 Vantage

Postby Brembo on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:39 pm

ok what i wanted to know/confirm is whether the etisalat pushmail service (45dhs per month) will work on a blackberry? if it does, why is not on the list of supported phones on the link i posted?
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby T.N.T on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:40 pm

Well, it should work! You might wanna call them up and ask.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Return to Chill Out Lounge