Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution; Next-Gen Model a Hybrid Diesel?

Discuss Formula 1, A1 Grand Prix, FIA GT, Rally, Nascar, Indy, Dubai Autodrome, ....

Moderator: azi malik

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution; Next-Gen Model a Hybrid Diesel?

Postby fadi khan on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:49 am

Mitsubishi-Lancer_Evolution_MR_2011_1024x768_wallpaper_0e-623x454.jpg
Mitsubishi-Lancer_Evolution_MR_2011_1024x768_wallpaper_0e-623x454.jpg (52.87 KiB) [ Viewed 877 times ]
Mitsubishi-Lancer_Evolution_MR_2011_1024x768_wallpaper_0e-623x454.jpg [ 52.87 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]

Mitsubishi has laid out a path for itself over the next few years that is a lot different than its past strategy. In the United States and around the world, Mitsubishi has risked being pushed to the fringes. A lot of its vehicles are priced within the mainstream but sales have been down.

Mitsubishi is pushing forward full-speed with electric and hybrid vehicles. The results of the effort is the subcompact iMiEV, which is priced at $27,790 before government tax incentives. The car has a range of 85 miles and will be going on sale in California, Oregon, Washington and Hawaii starting next month. With a large part of its future around hybrids and electrics, where does the Lancer Evolution fit into all of this?
Mitsubishi-Lancer_Evolution_MR_2011_1024x768_wallpaper_04-623x454.jpg
Mitsubishi-Lancer_Evolution_MR_2011_1024x768_wallpaper_04-623x454.jpg (73.37 KiB) [ Viewed 880 times ]
Mitsubishi-Lancer_Evolution_MR_2011_1024x768_wallpaper_04-623x454.jpg [ 73.37 KiB | Viewed 880 times ]

Some reports earlier this year said that Mitsubishi would axe the Evo because they felt its continuation would clash with the company’s new mission. Gayu Eusegi, Mitsubishi’s global product director, said as much: “There is still a demand, but we must stop…our influence now is EV technology.” Yikes. Fans were understandably incensed. Thankfully, Autocar reports today that an eleventh Evo is in fact coming, just one different than we have ever seen before.

The next-generation car will be paired with a hybrid drivetrain. That doesn’t have to be a bad thing. As is done in racing (Porsche knows a little something about this), hybrids can be tuned for performance, taking advantage of the torque offered by electric motors. There is more though; instead of a gas powered 2.0-liter turbo four, the Evo could switch that out for a diesel unit. Far fetched? The news comes right from the top, Mitsubishi president Osamu Masuko.

As for a time frame, Masuko says three years: “I have set the goal of developing a sporting car featuring electric power. We will start work on the project next year, and it will be ready within three.” It will be interesting to see how it turns out, that’s for sure. Evo fans are hard to please though. We’re glad to see Mitsubishi not ditching performance altogether though. Long live the Evo!
fadi khan
Drifter
Drifter

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: MBA
My Dream Ride: Cygnus

Re: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution; Next-Gen Model a Hybrid Diesel?

Postby azi malik on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:30 pm

nice ;)
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Postby hamiltonjensson on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:26 pm

I like the earlier models than this one! Mitsubishi will no longer be producing this range - but hopefully not. They said they will be driving the engineering by producing hybrid and electric cars.
hamiltonjensson
Cruiser
Cruiser

My Profession: Mechanic
My Dream Ride: Mazda RX-8

Postby azi malik on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:26 am

but i love the evo and lancer... i drove 1... and they are amazing... havent found better drives than these
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

Postby sunexim on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:58 pm

The results of the effort is the subcompact iMiEV, which is priced at $27,790 before government tax incentives.
That was really to be impressive design and technique used in this model.
Love that one!

sunexim
Cruiser
Cruiser

My Ride: n/a
My Profession: Student
My Dream Ride: Audi

Postby azi malik on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:02 am

?
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

Return to Motor Racing