Hyundai Tucson

Read reviews of the latest cars and share your experience with others.

Moderator: azi malik

Hyundai Tucson

Postby iqurean on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:28 am

The Tucson gets a much-needed redesign that gives it greater power, more style and nearly best-in-class highway fuel economy. The changes make it one of the best values in its segment.
With a base price of less than $20,000, the new Tucson has gone on sale with a choice of front- or all-wheel drive, manual or automatic transmission, as well as a sole four-cylinder engine powering both the GLS and Limited versions.
The sleek Tucson benefits from Hyundai’s advanced weight saving technology and the eco-efficient Theta II 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine delivering up to 31 mpg on the highway. Thanks to Hyundai’s first panoramic sunroof, the new Tucson offers open interior and excellent visibility. New to the re-engineered CUV are also the Downhill Brake Control (DBC), Hillstart Assist Control (HAC), touch-screen navigation unit and the Bluetooth® hands-free phone system.
Last year, Hyundai’s aging compact SUV floundered in the bottom half of its class, outperformed by stronger rivals like the Honda CR-V and Ford Escape. Since it hadn’t been changed much since its debut in 2005, the five-passenger Tucson was in desperate need of a redesign.
The redesign gives it good-looking curves and a more powerful and efficient powertrain. "Regardless of whether the Tucson is the class leader in driving, what's important here is that the Hyundai now has the power, fuel economy, and interior amenities to do battle with competitors from Honda, Chevrolet, Toyota, and others.
The Tucson comes in two trims, GLS and Limited, in either front- or all-wheel drive.

Engine

With its new 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine and automatic transmission, the base model is expected to achieve 23 mpg in the city and 31 on the highway. That makes it one of the most fuel-efficient gas-only SUVs in its class. It’s surpassed only by the Ford Escape Hybrid and Mercury Mariner Hybrid, which achieve 34/31 mpg city/highway and cost at least $10,000 more.

Exterior

The look comes from its European design studios, teamed with those in Korea and the United States, with perhaps more than a casual nod to the Nissan Rogue and the Euro-market Ford Kuga. Some versions have more chrome trim work around the grille and sides, while all editions have black trim that cuts the visual height of the doors on the side view. From its nose to its tail, the Tucson appears compact and edgy, while the rear end has visual mass that's cut somewhat by angular tail lamps.

Interior

Inside, the 2010 Tucson steps into the thick of global interior design with a big LCD screen, flanked by chromed vents, and dashes of metallic-painted plastic breaking up plenty of tightly grained hard black plastic. It's not quite in the same class as the Rogue or CR-V, but the Tucson's interior is at least as nicely executed as that in the Escape and on par with the Toyota RAV4.

• An extreme makeover that works
• Smoothed-over four-cylinder engine
• Still offers a manual transmission
• Roomy for four passengers
• Fuel economy is better than most gas-only SUVs
• Competitive price and warranty

Dislikes

• Sluggish performance
• Steering feel
• Braking feel
• Road noise may disturb passengers
• Some sub-par interior materials
• Less cargo space than other compact SUVs
Attachments
tucson-1.jpg
tucson-1.jpg (18.51 KiB) [ Viewed 1252541 times ]
tucson-1.jpg [ 18.51 KiB | Viewed 1252541 times ]

tucson-2.jpg
tucson-2.jpg (20.23 KiB) [ Viewed 1241 times ]
tucson-2.jpg [ 20.23 KiB | Viewed 1241 times ]

tucson-3.jpg
tucson-3.jpg (55.18 KiB) [ Viewed 1183 times ]
tucson-3.jpg [ 55.18 KiB | Viewed 1183 times ]

iqurean
Drifter
Drifter

My Ride: Mitsubishi
My Profession: Student
My Dream Ride: Alpha Romeo

Re: Hyundai Tucson

Postby root on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:25 pm

This one looks great! And quality improves with Hyundai every year! Real contender in the small SUV/city-SUV market.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Return to Automobile Reviews