Hyundai, Kia will pay owners: Cars were not fuel efficient

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

Hyundai, Kia will pay owners: Cars were not fuel efficient

Postby azi malik on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:06 am

2013_kia_sportage__medium.jpg
2013_kia_sportage__medium.jpg (36.79 KiB) Viewed 5875 times

Hyundai and Kia will have to give compensation to owners for having overstated the estimated fuel economy on over 900,000 U.S. vehicles sold in the past two years, according to a joint statement by the two companies. They will also need to reduce the fuel-economy estimates on majority of their 2012 and 2013 models. Hyundai and Kia make this move after the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency conducted an investigation and discovered inconsistencies between its test results and what the company claims. Majority of the mileage labels on Hyundai and Kia models will be cut by one to two miles per gallon, with the biggest adjustment being done on the Kia Soul with a six mpg highway reduction.

In the statement, W.C. Yang, chief technology officer of Hyundai/Kia research and development, said that he regrets the errors made and that he “sincerely apologizes” to all customers who were affected. He added that after EPA released its audit results, immediate actions were taken to make the necessary rating adjustments and process corrections.

According to The Detroit News, Hyundai Motor America CEO John Krafcik pointed to "procedural errors" in its own testing as the problem. He said that Hyundai has determined where the discrepancies between its testing method and the EPA's recommended approach had come from. In the statement, Krafcik said that considering how much the companies value fuel efficiency, it is “extremely sorry” about the slip-ups. He said that the company is even more driven to guarantee that its vehicles provide excellent fuel economy.

source:Read Article
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Return to Latest News