No way to keep Vettel back at Abu Dhabi, says Button

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

No way to keep Vettel back at Abu Dhabi, says Button

Postby azi malik on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:14 pm

Button-McLaren-F1-Vettel.jpg&maxW=431.jpg
Button-McLaren-F1-Vettel.jpg&maxW=431.jpg (17.31 KiB) [ Viewed 7007 times ]
Button-McLaren-F1-Vettel.jpg&maxW=431.jpg [ 17.31 KiB | Viewed 7007 times ]

Not surprisingly, Jenson Button was frustrated that he wasn't quick enough to keep Sebastian Vettel behind in the closing stages of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Running on relatively fresh option tires, Vettel took third place off the McLaren driver, who was on older prime tires. Even without the tire differential, Button was struggling for speed.

“I just didn't have the pace really, especially at the end there when Vettel was on brand-new tires,” he said. “His traction is far better, so I think it would have been quite embarrassing if he couldn't get past me. It was a good fight, it was a good battle.

“It was always going to be difficult as he was on brand-new option tires. It was tricky, and they've obviously geared the car for the race, because he started in the pit lane. It was very tough. The pace wasn't there for much of the race anyway, just didn't have the speed really.

“For quite a few laps, I was judging the KERS and trying my hardest when he had the DRS open to keep him behind. He did a good move round the outside. I could have run wide, and we would have touched, but it's not right really.

“It was very brave of him, really. If I'd locked up and run wide, we would have crashed. It was a very unusual move: I didn't expect that.

“I had a couple of good battles out there with [Mark] Webber and [Fernando] Alonso and also [Pastor] Maldonado. It was good fun with Maldonado, I enjoyed that. It was a fun race for a race that can be sometimes a bit of a procession.”

Meanwhile, Button is looking forward to the next race in Austin, Texas.

“Hopefully I can find a bit more pace, because obviously the car is working, as Lewis has been very quick all weekend, and my race pace is something that is normally pretty good. We'll go and have a look at why that is. Hopefully we can sort it out for Austin.

“I haven't driven the circuit yet [on the simulator]. I'll be doing that this week when I get back to the UK. It looks exciting, it looks pretty fast, and also, being in the States, it's great for the sport. [The race is in] quite a vibrant, young city. Hopefully, it will attract a lot of youth to the sport, not just spectators, but people who are interested in being involved in the sport.”

source:Read Article
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Return to Latest News