Hyundai, Kia overstated gas mileage, EPA finds

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

Hyundai, Kia overstated gas mileage, EPA finds

Postby azi malik on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:06 pm

indexk.jpg
indexk.jpg (6.58 KiB) Viewed 5180 times

Hyundai and Kia overstated the gas mileage on 900,000 vehicles in the past three years, a discovery that could result in sanctions from the U.S. government and millions of dollars in payments to car owners.

The inflated figures were uncovered by the Environmental Protection Agency in an audit of gas mileage tests by the two South Korean automakers. The agency, which monitors fuel economy, said Friday that it’s investigating how the companies came up with their numbers.

The EPA found inflated gas mileage on 13 models from the 2011 through 2013 model years, including Hyundai’s Elantra and Tucson, and Kia’s Sportage and Rio. The window sticker mileages were overstated on about one-third of the cars sold by the companies during the three years.

As a result, Hyundai and Kia will have to knock one or two miles per gallon off the vehicle stickers of most of their models. Some models will lose three or four miles per gallon. The Kia Soul, a funky-looking boxy small SUV, will lose six from its highway figure, lowering it from 34 mpg to 28 mpg.

"Consumers rely on the window sticker to help make informed choices about the cars they buy," said Gina McCarthy, assistant administrator of the EPA’s air-quality office. "EPA’s investigation will help protect consumers and ensure a level playing field among automakers."

source:Read Article
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Return to Latest News