Ferrari: is going to produce a new hybrid engine

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

Ferrari: is going to produce a new hybrid engine

Postby azi malik on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Ferrari599GTBHybridconcept_01.jpg
Ferrari599GTBHybridconcept_01.jpg (31.46 KiB) [ Viewed 8107 times ]
Ferrari599GTBHybridconcept_01.jpg [ 31.46 KiB | Viewed 8107 times ]

As reported by Car and Driver, Ferrari could be working on a new hybrid engine, that won’t involve the use of the KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) system. There is lots of speculation going on, but the American magazine has discovered patent applications that prove Ferrari’s engineers might develop a more conventional hybrid system.

It is not clear yet whether they will use a conventional battery or a supercapacitor coupled to two electric motors. By using two motors the performance of the car won’t be compromised: the smaller motor will be handling the on-board systems, such as the air conditioning and the power steering, and the larger one will transmit power to the wheels only, in order to achieve higher performance. This kind of setup allows the torque to be delivered to the internal-combustion engine only, without wasting energy feeding the auxiliary systems of the car.

In the patent application there are also details about a front mounted V-90 degree engine, which suggests a connection to the V8 fitted on the Ferrari California only, as all the V12 cars have a 65-degree angle. The positioning of the main electric motor is not clear yet, as some diagrams show it in front of the car, while others in the rear with the transaxle. It’s important to remember that these are just patent applications and have no guarantee of production, as many manufacturers apply to patent projects that are still in the development phase or expecting decisions. We’ll see, what do you think?

source:EuroCar Blog
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Return to Latest News