Indonesia becomes biggest automotive market in ASEAN

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

Indonesia becomes biggest automotive market in ASEAN

Postby azi malik on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:01 am

imiages.jpg
imiages.jpg (17.49 KiB) Viewed 18404 times
JAKARTA, Jan 19 (Asia Pulse) - Indonesia has replaced Thailand as ASEAN`s biggest automotive market with car sales reaching 890,410 units in 2011.
"Thailand has been projected to restrain with a total industrial volume of 800,300 units from year to year in 2011," Vice President of Automotive Practice at the research company Frost & Sullivan Asia Pasifik, Vivek Vaidya, said in Jakarta on Wednesday.

First Chairman of the Association of Indonesian Motor Vehicles Industry (Gaikindo) Jongkie D Sugiarto also said that Indonesia`s car sales in 2011 had exceeded Thailand`s.

Jongkie said Indonesia`s car sales last year reached more than 894,000 units.

The increase in Indonesia`s car sales in 2011, Vaidya said, was not caused by the floods in Thailand.

"Even without the effects of the floods in Thailand, Indonesia`s car sales are still high. The sales are already higher than Thailand`s in July last year," he said.

He projected that Indonesia would still become the biggest automotive market in ASEAN.

Vaidya said the increase in passenger car sales in Indonesia in 2011 was among others caused by the increase in the growth in the demand for 4x2 segment cars along with the many demands for new models.

He said the sale of 4x2 segment cars had been increasing by 12.8 pct from year to year to 569,274 units in 2011.

The increase, he said, was mainly because the popularity of MPVs like Avanza, Xenia, Innova, Livina and APV, and city compact cars like Jazz, Yaris, and Fiesta.

And the increase has also been supported by the popularity of minivans like Freed, Grand Max, and Alphard, and SUVs like CR-V, Rush, Terios, Fortuner, Pajero, Juke and Captiva.

Vaidya said further that the increase in the number of 4X4 segment cars has also been significant by 48.1 pct from year to year to 5,682 units.

The increase in the sale of cars of the segment, he said, had been triggered by the launching of the latest models like Pajero Sport, Fortuner and Captiva, as well as fancy cars like Hummer, Jeep, Lexus and Toyota Land Cruiser.
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Return to Latest News