2011 marks 3rd straight year for Toyota Prius: Best Selling

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

2011 marks 3rd straight year for Toyota Prius: Best Selling

Postby azi malik on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:20 am

2011_toyota_prius_blue__medium.jpg
2011_toyota_prius_blue__medium.jpg (26.16 KiB) Viewed 20570 times
The Toyota Prius was again named the best-selling brand in Japan in 2011 after unloading 252,528 units in the country. The gas-electric hybrid’s success is well attributed to the growing environment-friendly attitude of Japanese buyers. Helping catapult the Prius into the crown was its wagon version, the Alpha, which posted a solid performance after its roll out in May.

Toyota also showed it is not ready to give up the brand’s crown this year, as it launched the Prius c at the Detroit Auto Show. The Prius c, with the “c” standing for city, is more compact and affordable variant marketed to young city drivers. It will roll out in March 2012. Rounding up the top three in 2011 was Honda Motor Co.'s Fit, up from fourth in 2010, with 207,882 units, and Suzuki Motor Corp.’s Wagon R minicar with 160,439 units.

However, total car sales in Japan in 2011 were down 20%, mainly due to component supply problem as cause by the March earthquake and tsunami. Total sales would have been worse if foreign carmakers did not increase their imports in 2011. Foreign cars posted a 10% increase in Japan sales in 2011. Local carmakers also did their share by importing vehicles from plants outside of Japan, increasing the total sales of imported cars by 22% to 275,644 units.
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Return to Latest News