2013 Porsche Boxster unveiled

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

2013 Porsche Boxster unveiled

Postby azi malik on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:59 am

2013-porsche-boxster-52-opt.jpg
2013-porsche-boxster-52-opt.jpg (51.03 KiB) [ Viewed 11177 times ]
2013-porsche-boxster-52-opt.jpg [ 51.03 KiB | Viewed 11177 times ]

Porsche may have just unveiled its new 2012 911 Carrera Cabriolet at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this week, but the German automaker is wasting no time before showing off its next bit of overhauled hotness, the 2013 Boxster. The mid-engine roadster won't make its official debut until the Geneva Motor Show in March, but we've been given some preliminary details ahead of the new Box's primetime unveiling.

Much like the 911, the new Boxster's design is more evolution than revolution, and that's a-okay with us. The redesigned roadster is extremely handsome, and most of us on the Autoblog staff think it's the best-looking Boxster yet. We like the revised headlamps and more svelte running lamp/air intake setup, and the wider stance and longer wheelbase are nicely masked in the new design. The 2013 Boxster's all-aluminum skin also helps the new model shed a few pounds compared to its predecessor, which will not only make it that much more engaging out on the road, but also improve fuel economy.

But really, the Boxster is all about performance, and under the hood behind the seats are two flat-six engines with direct injection, thermal management and start/stop functionality. The base Boxster uses a 2.7-liter flat six, good for 265 horsepower (10 hp more than its predecessor) while the Boxster S is powered by a 3.4-liter six that produces 315 hp (an increase of 5 hp versus the 2012 model). The standard Boxster will run to 60 miles per hour in 5.4 seconds with the seven-speed PDK dual-clutch transmission, while the Boxster S will do the same jaunt in just 4.7 seconds. A six-speed manual gearbox (what, no seven-speed?) is also available with either engine. Porsche will offer a Sport Chrono package that further enhances performance, adding things like dynamic transmission mounts and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV).
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Return to Latest News