Audi plans rival to BMW X6, design chief says

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

Audi plans rival to BMW X6, design chief says

Postby azi malik on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:57 am

bmw-x6.jpg&maxW=630.jpg
bmw-x6.jpg&maxW=630.jpg (31.36 KiB) [ Viewed 11117 times ]
bmw-x6.jpg&maxW=630.jpg [ 31.36 KiB | Viewed 11117 times ]

Audi will launch a rival to the BMW X6 and may add a challenger to the Bavarian automaker's X4, a top Volkswagen executive told Automotive News Europe.

Walter de' Silva, design boss at Audi parent Volkswagen Group, confirmed that Audi has signed off on plans for the X6 rival. He declined to say when the car would arrive.

Dubbed by media as the Q6, the sporty, low-roof crossover will fit between Audi's Q7 and Q5 and try to win sales from BMW's niche-busting X6.

"We will definitely launch a sportier crossover in between the Q7 and Q5," de' Silva said on the sidelines of the auto show.

Audi aims pass BMW to be the top-selling premium brand by 2015.

BMW added the X6, which is based on the X5 SUV, to its lineup in 2008. The X6 has helped BMW expand sales in the premium SUV segment, which is a small, high-margin niche.

De' Silva also said that Audi is still deciding whether to add a smaller SUV, likely named the Q4, to fit between the Q5 and Q3. The new model would be a competitor against the X4, a model that BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer has confirmed will be launched. Sources say BMW will start sales of the X4 in 2014.

azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Return to Latest News