Mercedes E-Class Superlight Planned

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

Mercedes E-Class Superlight Planned

Postby azi malik on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:19 am

superlight-e-class.jpg
superlight-e-class.jpg (88.66 KiB) [ Viewed 5173 times ]
superlight-e-class.jpg [ 88.66 KiB | Viewed 5173 times ]

According to a report from German magazine Auto Bild, Mercedes-Benz is developing a lightweight version of the E-Class which will weigh 350kg (770lbs) less than the standard model.

The lightweight E-class will be made of carbon fiber which has many advantages in weight and performance. The material is more rigid and much lighter than steel. This will benefits the performance as well as the fuel economy and emissions. The total weight of the lightweight E-Class will be around 1,300kg (2860lbs).

The Mercedes E Superlight will be a sports saloon. The stiffness of the carbon structure will give the designers and engineers more freedom. The future Benz could feature gullwing doors or sliding doors due to the absence of the B-pillar.

This E-Class is also intended to lower the fuel-economy and emissions of the Mercedes fleet. Therefore the German carmaker is considering both hydrogen fuel-cell and petrol-hybrid drivetrains for the lightweight E-Class.

In addition to the lightweight E, Mercedes is also working on two other carbon models which will take on the BMW ‘i’ models. The Stuttgart based manufacturer is also working on a new SCS supercar, positioned above the SLS.

Production of the E superlight will apparently be 20,000 vehicles a year. The carbon fibered sports saloon will enter the markets in 2015.
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Re: Mercedes E-Class Superlight Planned

Postby bilalashraf on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Nice move by Mercedes-Benz!

-Bilal
bilalashraf
Rookie