Crash with Hamilton not my fault, Ferrari's Massa insists

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

Crash with Hamilton not my fault, Ferrari's Massa insists

Postby azi malik on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:59 pm

f1-massa-hamilton.jpg&maxW=630.jpg
f1-massa-hamilton.jpg&maxW=630.jpg (33.51 KiB) [ Viewed 9831 times ]
f1-massa-hamilton.jpg&maxW=630.jpg [ 33.51 KiB | Viewed 9831 times ]

Not surprisingly, when he met the media after the Indian Grand Prix on Sunday, Ferrari's Felipe Massa insisted that he didn't know why he was given a drive-through penalty following contact with McLaren's Lewis Hamilton.

Massa said he was the innocent party in the incident, which was the sixth time this year that the two drivers have been involved in a controversy.

"My view is that I braked later than him," said Massa. "I was in front, I was on the grippy area as well and then I started to turn. And I didn't see him on the left. So he was behind. And he touched my rear wheel. So, to be honest I don't understand why I have the penalty. It's really not understandable.

Asked if there was now a feud between the two drivers, Massa said, "Maybe for him. Because in all the incidents, he touched my car. So I didn't do anything wrong. When I saw that he put the car on my side, what can I do? It was very dirty, in his place, so I braked on the clean side, on the grippy side. I braked later than him and I start to turn, and he is behind me.

"To be honest, if it's Lewis or not Lewis, whatever the driver is there; I would do the same. Because I am on the good grippy side."

When it was suggested that TV images showed him looking in his mirrors, Massa said, "I knew he was on my side. But when I braked, this is the important place, not when you are on the straight. When I braked, he was not on my side. So I turned, because I braked later than him, you know.

"I cannot understand why I am supposed to back off and let him by, no? I braked later. He was on the dirty side, and then I turned, and he touched me from behind. He did not touch on my side, or wheel-to-wheel. If it was wheel-to-wheel, I would not try to close the door."

azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Re: Crash with Hamilton not my fault, Ferrari's Massa insists

Postby bilalashraf on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Massa was the innocent party indeed !

-Bilal
bilalashraf
Rookie