GM to introduce a diesel-powered Chevrolet Cruze

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

GM to introduce a diesel-powered Chevrolet Cruze

Postby azi malik on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:44 pm

General Motors made use of drastic methods such as using ultra-low rolling resistance tires and having no spare tire so that the Chevy Cruze ECO could have a fuel economy rating of 42 mpg. However, GM is planning to soon offer a diesel version of the Cruze, a powertrain that’s rarely used in domestic compact cars. It was last February that the rumor first came out about a diesel engine to be made available to the market in North America.

But now, Automotive News reported that GM will simply tweak one of those engines to meet North American standards and regulations. A diesel-powered Cruze is already being sold in Australia and Europe where two versions of the diesel-powered Cruze is available.

One has an output of 127hp and 221 lb-ft of torque while the other delivers 163hp and 266 lb-ft. The diesel-powered engine is expected to arrive in the U.S. within two years. It’s likely to appear in the 2013 model-year Cruze. It’s apparent from this move that the Cruze is being pitted against the Volkswagen Jetta TDI, which offers 140-hp and 236-lb ft of torque. VW has been successful at offering diesel engines in the U.S. It’s a common option for consumers who prefer lots of torque but with high MPGs. Another advantage is that this diesel engine is anticipated to also be used on the upcoming Buick Verano.
2011_chevrolet_cruze_2__medium.jpg
2011_chevrolet_cruze_2__medium.jpg (37.36 KiB) Viewed 9370 times
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Return to Latest News