Green Dubai - finally on the roads

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

Green Dubai - finally on the roads

Postby root on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:32 pm

With the current 'Green fashion' everywhere, we cannot remain behind in UAE, and specially Dubai.
The press release talks about the green program from the Lootah Group.

Wonder really what that little red car is, and if Mr Yahya Lootah will set an example and ride in it himself - that will be the change we could be proud off, shelving off the red Ferrari for this puny red battery driven 4-wheeler (I'll gladly take care of the Ferrari!).

Sarcasm aside...every step in this direction matters! Kudos to those who have gone down the path!
lootahgreen.jpg
lootahgreen.jpg (49.68 KiB) Viewed 13440 times

Dubai roads welcome first electric car
In a significant step towards fulfilling Dubai's vision for sustainable transport, Dubai roads welcomed for the first time, fully electric cars yesterday, making it the first city in the Gulf to license electric cars.

The electric cars, licensed to Dubai-based business conglomerate S.S. Lootah Group, are the latest addition to the company fleet as part of its 'Green Car' Program. The Program, conceived 3 years ago, addresses the mobility needs of the company with minimum impact on the environment, as part of the Group's drive towards integrating sustainability as a core driver of business strategy and objectives, in line with the vision of the nation's Leadership. Using Compressed Natural Gas (CNG), the cleanest burning fossil fuel, hybrid vehicles, high-mileage vehicles and fleet modernization are some features of the Program.

Mr. Nasser Lootah, Director, S.S. Lootah Group, commented: 'The 'Green Car Program' has seen a great progression since inception starting from conversion of part of our fleet to Compressed Natural Gas, followed by the use of hybrid cars and now, electric cars. We are currently testing the performance and specifications of the electric car to suit the Gulf conditions and the response has been very positive so far.'

Eng. Yahya Lootah, Vice Chairman - CEO, S.S. Lootah Group praised the vision of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of UAE and Ruler of Dubai, to make Dubai a model city of the future and commented, 'We are committed to contributing to the vision of our Leadership towards making Dubai sustainable in every respect including mainstream transport. We are confident that the electric car will be a viable alternative for commuting within the city and play a significant role in reducing pollution.'
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Re: Green Dubai - finally on the roads

Postby T.N.T on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:30 pm

root wrote:Wonder really what that little red car is, and if Mr Yahya Lootah will set an example and ride in it himself - that will be the change we could be proud off, shelving off the red Ferrari for this puny red battery driven 4-wheeler

My exact thoughts.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Return to Latest News