So much for self-service at pumps

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

So much for self-service at pumps

Postby root on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:16 pm

This is what we all here had also predicted! We did not say people are lazy like this article in Gulf News, but it seems like laziness might be one reason. I guess if someone does my laundry, I could be considered lazy as well. On the other hand I do prefer going to a fast-food and do "self-service" rather than being served on the table, so its got to be more than laziness...

enoc.jpg
enoc.jpg (2.75 KiB) Viewed 17802 times

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/City_Talk/10254423.html

Residents reluctant to embrace concept of self-service stations
Dubai/ Abu Dhabi/ Fujairah: Motorists are now faced with two choices: being self-sufficient or pampered by services. To no surprise, the majority chose the latter option.

The concept of self-service petrol stations will only work if the authorities convert every petrol station to self-service, expressed a majority of UAE residents.

They felt that options will only make pampered drivers more pampered.

Residents were responding to a recent Gulf News poll, which had 65 per cent of respondents disagreeing with the concept, while 27 per cent gave a green signal to the concept. Seven per cent of respondents did not own a vehicle.

There are currently three self-service petrol stations operational in Dubai and seven in the Northern Emirates. The concept was launched in July this year and Enoc officials previously said that they will not roll back the concept.

City Talk took to the streets and asked residents if self-service petrol stations in the UAE will work, if they have used it before and whether residents are too lazy to change their habits.

Adel Sarairah, mechanical engineer from Jordan, 61, said: "Anything will work in the UAE. I have tried it before and it was easy to use, but the most important thing to note is that employees at the petrol station will lose their jobs. I think that some women may be reluctant and also people who are very sensitive, and others would not want to use them because many others have touched it before." Sales executive Sonia Zaknoune, 29, said: "It will definitely not work among women. I've had to use them in France because there is no other option. I was very surprised and shocked when I saw them in the UAE, and was very reluctant to use it. I am used to being served, and I think that many others will also find it hard getting used to the idea of serving themselves. But if self-service petrol stations were implemented everywhere across the country, people will not have a choice."

Hannah Dinglasan, Filipina credit controller, 33, said: "Everybody in the UAE is lazy and having it will bring many disadvantages. Motorists are always in a rush and so they will not like waiting in the queues. We all have gotten used to the idea of people serving us, and have adapted to this kind of lifestyle. While I go to self-service petrol stations in the Philippines, I will never want to use them here."

Ahmad Ali, Sudanese financial controller, 48, said: "Self-service petrol stations will reduce the crowd in petrol stations, it is more practical to have people move from their car seats and service themselves. People are genuinely lazy and are getting lazier by the day, not just across the UAE but everywhere. Even though I have not noticed a self-service petrol station I will definitely be the first to use it."

Badaruddin M.C., sales executive, 27, said: "I was about to use the self-service once but left immediately for another petrol station because I simply did not have the time, and I think this is a major problem with this system. I think people find the idea of having to get out of their cars and walk to and from the counter inside the station shop is just too much bother. Add to that the possibility of getting petrol on your cloths or shoes and the summer heat and sweat and then you will see why people will just not use the service."

Amjad Sabri, marine engineer surveyor from Egypt, 41, said: "I don't think self-service is an acceptable option for a number of reasons. For a start, not everyone has an idea of how to use the pumps and this would cause delays. Also, the heat in the summer is a major factor. I think many people will stop using self-service stations and ultimately this will force the management to reconsider the idea."

Maria Amurao, a radiographer from the Philippines, who recently obtained her driving license, said: "Having self-service petrol stations in the UAE is a positive move because they are normally too busy. It is a lot better to service yourself, especially if you are in a rush. I do feel people across the UAE are lazy because not a lot of countries have automatic wash services, usually a person cleans their own vehicle."

Maher Shahrour, relationship manager, Jordan, said: "People across the UAE are used to being serviced and pampered. With our hot weather here, I doubt anyone will get out of their car and service themselves. They are not used to a self-service petrol station, and the sudden decision to implement one will take time for people to grasp. Personally I wouldn't do it, unless I am in a rush."

Mousa Al Hariri, a hairdresser from Syria, 30, said: "I used the service once but I don't agree with it at all. I think it is too much of an inconvenience not just to women and elderly people but to everyone. I have the right not to get out of my car seat when I drive into a petrol station because that is a part of service that I am paying for."
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Re: So much for self-service at pumps

Postby T.N.T on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:03 pm

Meh, I'm fine with either.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Re: So much for self-service at pumps

Postby WSF on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:02 am

Whatever, i personally like to take care of my car myself, even DIY changing the oil i dont mind... :P :P :P
WSF
Street Racer
Street Racer

Return to Latest News