Sharjah hikes taxi prices - but for everyones good really!

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

Sharjah hikes taxi prices - but for everyones good really!

Postby root on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:24 pm

Sometime one welcomes decisions that make life more expensive! This is one of those where Sharjah-Dubai taxis have decided to start the fare at AED 20. Although I am sure some Sharjah-ites are thinking the opposite. The reason I think it's good is that currently the taxi drivers are not able to make a decent living - and if they can't make an honest living, then that ends up in them refusing to take people, working way over the recommended times causing other traffic problems, and also attitude issues.

I take taxis quite often in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, and one sees the difference clearly. The Dubai taxi is more expensive, but we have much happier customers and drivers in general. At least I can say that for all those I've spoken to on this matter.

Good article from KT about this! Has both sides of the story and motivation behind decisions.
sharjahtaxi.jpg
sharjahtaxi.jpg (2.88 KiB) Viewed 13946 times

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArti ... ion=theuae
Sharjah-Dubai Taxi Fares to Start at Dh20

SHARJAH - Starting December 1, Sharjah taxis will start with a minimum fare of Dh20 instead of Dh2.50 and Dh3.50, for a Sharjah to Dubai run.

An official source at Sharjah Transport said the decision was made to help out residents and to combat the shortage of taxis for the Sharjah to Dubai route.

“The fare increase is expected to be announced by Sharjah Transport after informing the four franchise taxi companies in Sharjah. Sharjah Transport is responsible for operating four franchise taxi companies that offer more than 4,000 cars. The firms include Advantage Taxi, Union Taxi, City Taxi and Emirates Taxi,” said Ahmed Al Hamili, Assistant General Manager of Emirates National Group.

“The taxi drivers are suffering losses and we are considering raising the basic amount mainly because of the increase in petrol prices. The starting fare has not been raised in the past years,” the official said.

“The meter fare currently starts at Dh2.50 during the day and Dh3.50 at night and this will be increased to Dh20.

“We are getting less inside Sharjah though the fares are slightly more to the distant areas. People with low-incomes are advised to use buses,” he added.

Residents have frequently complained to the taxi companies of the lack of taxis and the refusal of taxi drivers to take them from Sharjah to Dubai.

Khaleej Times interviewed a number of taxi drivers who welcomed the move.

Zahid K., a taxi driver said: “We have complained to our companies about our losses. We do not like to go to Dubai due to the traffic jams during the day. If we take a passenger to Bur Dubai he will pay for example around Dh20 but we have to spend more than four hours to come back to Sharjah.”

Omran T., another taxi driver said: “Sharjah taxis are not allowed to transport customers from Dubai. Passengers pay for the Salik Toll gates for reaching Dubai, and refuse to pay for the same for the return trip to Sharjah.”

“Sharjah taxi drivers suffer as the economy and life styles in Sharjah differ from Dubai. Most of the taxi drivers fail to get the minimum of Dh275 which should be paid to their company daily. Taxi drivers are forced to work for more than 20 hours a day to get to the target and by the end of the month they earn less than Dh3,000.

“And, if they commit traffic violations or have a customer complaint against them, they face further deductions,” said Ahmed, also a full time cabbie in the emirates.”

He added: “Sharjah taxi companies fine drivers when they refuse trips to Dubai. During the day there are not too many people in Sharjah as most of them work in Dubai. Also, after 10pm there are not many passengers around.

Nada Hassan, a resident said: “There are not enough taxis in the city and it is very difficult to find one to take me to Dubai where I work, but the new fees will be steep for us.

El Sadiq El Hassan, said: The taxi drivers right now are reluctant to drive to Dubai. Sharjah Transport has taken the decision to provide better services. He said people who are not able to pay for the meter taxi, should use mass transport ways.”
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Return to Latest News