Child Safety rules coming

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

Child Safety rules coming

Postby root on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:39 pm

I thought there was a rule for this all along, but I guess I was wrong. Late is better than never, so we welcome this as a great move!
Does this mean that fathers can drive the cars with kids sitting on their laps anymore?

kidonlap.jpg
kidonlap.jpg (3.49 KiB) Viewed 27456 times

Article below from Khaleej Times!
Child Safety Seats will Become a Must Soon
DUBAI - Having child safety seats in cars will be mandatory soon and parents who flout this while driving with children would face fines and other penalties, the Roads and Transport Authority said on Thursday.

Thuriya Abdulla Al Mulla, Senior Supervisor of the Traffic Department at the RTA said officials are discussing a new law under which parents having children are compulsorily required to have safety seats in their cars.

He was speaking during the launch of a campaign termed ‘Baby Memories’, which aims to educate the new mothers on road and traffic safety.

The campaign, being held in association with the Dubai Health Authority, will be implemented in all Dubai hospitals.

“Presently, we are discussing a new law under which the parents having children need to have the child safety seats in their cars. The details, including the fines and other penalties would be announced later. A lot of children have been victims of road accidents. We aim to provide them with adequate safety,” she said.

According to the figures, 6,146 children in the UAE have been victims of different accidents between 2001 and 2007.

Many of these mishaps could have been prevented with proper care from parents and children themselves. In Abu Dhabi, 81 children were injured in road accidents in 2001. The number rose to 1,662 in 2007.

Data provided by the Ministry of Health (MoH) reveal that road accidents are the number one cause of child deaths in the UAE. The figures state that 13 per cent of people who died in accidents from 2000 to 2005 were children.

Fifty-five per cent deaths of children happened due to traffic accidents alone.

According to the Abu Dhabi Health Authority, the UAE currently has the highest rate of road deaths in the world despite of having all amenities like good roads, good driving conditions and modern cars.

The campaign, officials said, will reach out to the new mothers across Dubai.

It will provide the new mothers with an informational toolkit combining all aspects of child health such as vaccination schedules, childhood illness in addition to providing information on the core element of traffic and road safety, said the officials.

The kit will be available free of charge. It will be distributed first in Al Wasl Hospital.
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArti ... ion=theuae

Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Return to Latest News