Utopian car-free city in Dubai

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

Utopian car-free city in Dubai

Postby root on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:33 am

This is not something that your local car dealers would like. Mind you I don't know if I would like to live in a Pyramid Bubble. I wonder if they will all be wearing white polyester uniforms as well.

Anyhow, here's the article

pyramid.jpg
pyramid.jpg (40.17 KiB) Viewed 24714 times

Pyramid city steers off cars
http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.as ... ueID=31193
DUBAI: Developers are being sought to back a futuristic, pyramid-shaped city without cars or pollution.Horizontal and vertical public transport networks would be powered by sustainable resources, such as wind, solar energy and steam, says Dubai-based environmental design company Timelinks.

Carbon-emissions would be cut by 90 per cent and the commuter nightmare would vanish in the Ziggurat project, says the company.

It says the city would be able to support up to one million people by harnessing the power of nature.

The complex, still in its concept stage, will be unveiled to developers at this year's Cityscape Dubai real estate investment conference, taking place at the Dubai International Exhibition Centre from October 6 to 9.

The pyramid tower would spread across 2.3sqkm, with parks, water channels, and lakes with climate zones that become cooler at higher

elevations.

Dubai's cars reportedly generate a total of two million tonnes of carbon into the atmosphere and the average daily commuting time is 104 minutes, as compared to 70 minutes in the US, says the company.

The project's integrated transport system could cut commuting time to just 15 minutes.

"Industrialised cities are now pumping out billions of tonnes of carbon into the environment," said Timelinks managing director Ridas Matonis.

"The Ziggurat project employs a car-less environment with a transport system that is powered by energy generated by solar, wind and steam. "We estimate that carbon emissions within the city could be significantly reduced by 90pc.

"With the close proximity of hospitals, schools, workplaces and leisure amenities contained within the Ziggurat, less stress is placed upon commuting," said Mr Matonis.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Re: Utopian car-free city in Dubai

Postby T.N.T on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:29 pm

Don't care! That will be the last place I'd decide to live in. Then again, if I had no other choice, I'd buy an RV :)
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Return to Latest News