The mobile home cometh - but its really illegal

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

The mobile home cometh - but its really illegal

Postby root on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:43 am

That's one way to beat the rush hour traffic. Live in your car. Given that old cars will not have much road-value if the new laws come in, they can be used as homes instead.

Joking aside, quite a sad state of affairs given how inflation is hitting those that are the back-bone of everything great in UAE - the low-waged workers. Let's hope this is an eye-opener and we see more affordable housing for all parts of society.
carbed.jpg
carbed.jpg (3.61 KiB) Viewed 13350 times

Soaring rents forcing people to live in cars
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/532498-s ... cars?ln=en

Soaring rents and living costs in Sharjah, Ajman and Ras Al-Khaimah are forcing residents to live in their cars, highlighting the lack of affordable housing for the hundreds of thousands of low-income workers living in the UAE.

Previously some of the only places those on low-incomes in the UAE could afford to live, the rents in Sharjah, Ajman and Ras Al-Khaimah have shot up in the last year as more affluent people move out of Dubai and Abu Dhabi in search cheaper accommodation.

Now there are several areas in places like Sharjah where early in the morning people can be seen sleeping in their cars, UAE daily The National reported on Sunday.

The practice has become so common they even have a name for those that do, “car people”, according to the newspaper.

“At first I thought I would find another house. I looked for one for about a week and all the deposits, real-estate commission and rent itself was too much for me and my colleagues," one Pakistani man told the newspaper.

“After staying in the car for a week I thought it was normal and I am pushing on with it.”

The practice is actually illegal under UAE law and authorities in Sharjah, Dubai and Abu Dhabi have said they will take action against anyone found using their car as a home.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Re: The mobile home cometh - but its really illegal

Postby T.N.T on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:06 am

The practice is actually illegal under UAE law and authorities in Sharjah, Dubai and Abu Dhabi have said they will take action against anyone found using their car as a home.

Where are these people supposed to sleep then? On the street?
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Re: The mobile home cometh - but its really illegal

Postby root on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:30 am

I guess that is illegal as well. Good question.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Return to Latest News