Tasjeel does not admire Newcastle United

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

Tasjeel does not admire Newcastle United

Postby root on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:46 pm

Another funny news of what some people have to go through. The guy was "totally gutted" by the fact that Tasjeel did not pass his car without him removing his Sir Bobby Robson sticker from the rear window. Yeah, you do see a lot of cars with stickers, but I guess the Tasjeel guy does not mess around with you if you have a picture of the Ruler or a UAE flag.

Funny reading!

Car gets the boot
A Dubai motorist was left dumbstruck when his jeep failed its registration - for having a football sticker on it.Die-hard Newcastle United fan Dougy Douglas was amazed when he was told the sticker of former manager Sir Bobby Robson made his Jeep Cherokee unroadworthy.The 43-year-old Brit has questioned the Roads and Transport Authority’s (RTA’s) decision - saying there are plenty of other cars in Dubai that have stickers on them.Douglas’ black and white sticker fills the entire back windscreen of his jeep.It failed its registration yesterday as it was deemed to be more than 30 per cent tinted - something Douglas strongly denies.“From the inside, you cannot even see there is a sticker,” he said.“It’s not stopping vision from the car and is totally safe. But if I don’t take the sticker off, I’m not allowed to drive the jeep.“It’ll be a nightmare to get off and I’m totally gutted. You feel proud driving around when you have something like that on your window.“I’ve had the jeep for three years and every time I get the registration renewed the sticker has never been a problem.“You see lots of vehicles with stickers on in Dubai, and there’s no way the drivers will be asked to take them off.”The registration was carried out at the Wasel Vehicle Testing Centre.An RTA spokesman responded: “The law is very clear - it states that tinting of more than 30 per cent is not allowed. That is the same rule for everybody.”Douglas is a true Geordie through and through and has supported the club all his life. His back is covered with tattoos of Newcastle players’ signatures.He has also vowed to fly his jeep back to England when cancer-sufferer Sir Bobby dies, so that he can drive through Newcastle - with the sticker on full display - as a mark of respect.Douglas, who has lived in Dubai for 14 years and works as a facilities manager, said: “Bobby Robson has not got long to live so I’m planning on flying the jeep back home and driving it through Newcastle for the funeral when it takes place.”
http://www.7days.ae/en/2008/08/21/car-g ... -boot.html
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Return to Latest News