More cameras being installed..this time to actually help!

Stay current with daily news updates from local and international press.

Moderator: azi malik

More cameras being installed..this time to actually help!

Postby root on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:38 am

35 more cameras that will be linked up to a control center to be able to track traffic problems and accidents faster! Now, this is making a lot more sense than those speed cameras that everyone has learnt to avoid.

rta-camera.jpg
rta-camera.jpg (6.11 KiB) Viewed 9511 times

Pretty neat towered cameras that will cover Shaikh Zayed Road, Al Khaleej, Emirates, Shaikh Rashid, Abu Baker, Al Siddique, Al Ittihad, Al Mina and Bani Yas Road as well as Al Shindagha Tunnel, Al Maktoum Bridge and Al Garhoud Bridge.

What we need now are cameras that can catch all those cutting into lanes at the last moment, and I'll be a happy person.

From Arabian Business an article around this:
35 new cameras to improve Dubai traffic

Roads chiefs in Dubai have stepped up their campaign to improve traffic in the city after awarding a contract for 35 more fixed and mobile cameras.

The new cameras bought by the Roads and Transport Authority takes the total number of surveillance devices on city roads to 232.

Mattar Al-Tayer, RTA chairman, said he was keen to install these cameras at light signal-controlled junctions and key roads to streamline traffic in the emirate.

And the number of road junctions covered by cameras will increase from 110 to 150 and an additional 75km of road in Dubai will be under the spotlight.

He said: “The project covers buying 35 new surveillance cameras including 30 fixed cameras and five mobile cameras to be installed on highways and junctions.

"Cameras can be used in monitoring the undergoing road works, temporary traffic diversions, entry and exit points of key roads, and other areas of concern."

The announcement about the new cameras comes just a few weeks after seven people were killed and several others injured in two separate minibus crashes in Dubai.

And figures released last week revealed that since the year 2000, 1,846 people have died on the city's roads with more than 18,000 others injured.

And Roads and Transport officials estimated that the carnage on the roads has cost the economy of Dubai a massive $1.3 billion.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Return to Latest News