Prado VX (Oman top end) Vs Pajero 3.8 top end

Discuss Off-road vehicles, experiences, routes, places, tips, desert safaris, ...

Moderator: azi malik

Prado VX (Oman top end) Vs Pajero 3.8 top end

Postby kapil on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:54 am

I currently have a Pajero 3.0 SWB since 2005 and have only spent one a single Brake Pad change and one roof lamp.

I need to upgrade to a 4 door suv and have shortlisted the Prado VX top end (Oman model) and teh Pajero 3.8 top end from Al Habtoor.

We go to the desert whenever the weather permits.

I am yet to test drive both but there are a lot of other things I notice which have me confused.... My curent Pajero has done about 46000 kms, no accidents and serviced regularly abut off lately it has become very noisy (mostly Rolling noise) and we feel a bit of vibration when driving. Could it be because of the tyres ar could it be anything else? It currently rides on Yokohama Geolanders which still have about 40% tread.

I have not driven a similary old Prado and hence don't know it is smoother or not, though I have driven a 15000 kms run prado VX and it is significantly smoother and quiter, but it rides on Dunlope Grand Trak. Coud these tyres be the cause of diffence?

For prado:
-------------
1. It is more powerful (only slightly) as agaist the Pajero 3.8.
2. The Oman top end comes with a pneumatic suspension giving me option of different settings for diffrent kind of drivings.
3. same warranty and service offer as the one from Al Futtaim.

agaisnt prado:
---------------
1. More expensive than a Pajero 3.8 top end by about 38,000 Dhs currently.
2. Service expense of almost Dhs 5000 over three years considering we drive it 50,000 kms in three years.
3. Almost half luggage space as against Pajero with the third row folded.
4. Muscis system looks like and after market fittment and does not match asthetically even performance is far lower against teh Pajero's Rockford.

For Pajero:
-------------

1. Almost the same interior quality appearance as the Prado.
2. Much better Music system.
3. Third row of seats disappears when not needed, hence huge difference in luggage space.
4. Costs onlt 122,000 Dhs with 50,000 kms free service and maintainence (costing about .
5. About 26% less costly over three years and even if I loose 5000 Dhs more when reselling , in absolute money terms, it still leaves me with about 40,000 extra Dhs after three years.
6. Ride on 18" GandTrak tyres.

against Pajero:
-----------------
1. The only real reason I would look away is that the White Color is not available currently and and I'll have to get either teh black or the Blue black
2. and that i currently drive a Pajero.

Please advise and help me sort this out.

Reagrds..............ks
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Wrangler YJ - 95
My Profession: ****
My Dream Ride: Sukohi Su 30-mki

Re: Prado VX (Oman top end) Vs Pajero 3.8 top end

Postby T.N.T on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:49 am

A new Prado is coming next year so that is out.
Get the Pajero.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:02 pm

Kapil write a nice long post with great analysis, and all you can say is "Get the Pajero" ;)

First thing..about the noise and the drive of your current Prado, I suspect that your wheels are not aligned. If it vibrates when going fast then its a wheel alignment thing..this can also cause noise. Sometimes, some tires cannot be switched around which some service people do, and that could be a reason for the noise and imbalance. I just you get that check up.

If you're vibrating while braking, then you need to get your brake pads or disks checked.

From what I can read, you have been taking your Prado in the desert, so it has been abused with high RPMs, etc., so you cannot really compare it with a city driven one.

Now, to your choice of new cars. Pajero definitely gives more for the dirham. Prado is king, because its Toyota and it looks nicer (but getting tired of seeing every second house with a Prado now).

Honda MRV is coming with a new model this year as well. The old shape brand new are selling very cheap. MRV is quite a popular one in US (called Pilot there).
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby Zulfiqar on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:17 am

I am planning to take 4x4 and i am intrested MRV, Prado and GMC Acadia can somebody tell me which is the best car and one more think i want to share you i am working in dubai and my buget is around 90000 to 100000 AED and i am planning to take the secound hand Car MRV 2008 coust me around (75000AED 90000Km) (Prado2009 around 100000AED 120000Km) And (GMC Acadia 2009 70000km) can any body suggest me please i am confused ????? Help me
Zulfiqar

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: COMPUTER
My Dream Ride: GMC ACADIA

Return to Off-Road