2014 Infiniti G IPL To Take It To BMW M3, Mercedes-Benz C63

Show off your ride or something cool you see - pimped or not-pimped, upload images, share, discuss, vote, comment, just dont put them on sale in this forum...

Moderator: azi malik

2014 Infiniti G IPL To Take It To BMW M3, Mercedes-Benz C63

Postby sonya zafar on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:02 am

Nearly everybody competing seriously in the luxury segment has a performance lineup, never more prominently than at BMW and Mercedes-Benz with the M and AMG divisions. Audi has S and RS lineups, Cadillac fields the V-Series and Lexus the F (a limited as it has been so far). So far Infiniti hasn’t joined the club. Infiniti Performance Lineup (IPL) that introduced on the G was seen as the beginnings of an involvement in performance, but just the beginnings.

InfinitiIPLGCoupeFrontView-623x436.jpg
InfinitiIPLGCoupeFrontView-623x436.jpg (60.6 KiB) [ Viewed 555 times ]
InfinitiIPLGCoupeFrontView-623x436.jpg [ 60.6 KiB | Viewed 555 times ]

IPL isn’t a full-blown performance lineup – yet. A sporty tune of the G isn’t going to cut it versus the BMW M3 and Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG. Infiniti knows that, and we speculated about IPL’s future when it first debuted, hoping it would turn into more of a serious performance line. According to Motor Trend, it could turn into one starting with the next-generation G.

The G has been a strong competitor in the rear-wheel drive performance segment. Right now, it is getting long in the tooth. Unfortunately, an update is still a while off. The next-generation G will debut in the summer of 2014, over 2 years away. In a strange twist, the G is sharing a platform and four-cylinder engine with the next-generation Mercedes-Benz C-Class. And they say politics makes strange bedfellows!

InfinitiIPLGCoupeInterior-623x436.jpg
InfinitiIPLGCoupeInterior-623x436.jpg (52.09 KiB) [ Viewed 559 times ]
InfinitiIPLGCoupeInterior-623x436.jpg [ 52.09 KiB | Viewed 559 times ]

Motor Trend’s source says that the next-generation G will feature an M3 and C63 AMG-fighting IPL model with “upwards of 530 horsepower.” The engine powering it will be an all-new 3.7-liter direct injection V-6 with twin-turbocharging. The engine will be nearly hand-built at Nissan’s exclusive Tochigi plant, where the GT-R is produced. According to the source we could see an “IPL Tochigi” moniker emerge that could serve as Infiniti’s high-end performance brand. Could real performance be in Infiniti’s sights for the first time? If MT’s source is right, it looks like it.

source:Automoblog
sonya zafar
Ride Pimper
Ride Pimper

My Ride: Honda Accord
My Profession: Marketing Analyst
My Dream Ride: Land Rover

Quick reply

Return to Rides - my ride, cool rides