Mercedes-Benz May Add GLG Crossover To Lineup

Discuss the best SUV or 4-Wheel Drive to get or not to get....

Mercedes-Benz May Add GLG Crossover To Lineup

Postby azi malik on Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:35 am

The original Mercedes-Benz G-Class is the original Mercedes G Model . It has been around for years, an iconic model line known around the world for its ruggedness and off-road prowess. In that regard Mercedes-Benz had an excellent basis from which to build its crossover/SUV lineup.

Today the GL line includes the G-Class, GL-Class (which recently won Motor Trend’s SUV Of The Year Award) and the GLK crossover. The aforementioned GLK’s boxy styling was meant to draw on the G-Wagon’s heritage a bit – and we think it has worked out to great effect.

Mercedes-Benz-G-Class_2013_1280x960_wallpaper_0b-623x429.jpg
Mercedes-Benz-G-Class_2013_1280x960_wallpaper_0b-623x429.jpg (86.91 KiB) [ Viewed 535 times ]
Mercedes-Benz-G-Class_2013_1280x960_wallpaper_0b-623x429.jpg [ 86.91 KiB | Viewed 535 times ]

CAR Magazine says Mercedes isn’t finished adding models though, with a new model that ties itself even closer to the G-Wagon. What does that mean in practice? CAR says the new G will include a steeply raked windshield, flat roof and upright rear hatch.

We like the idea of a remixed, modern G-Wagon. Just don’t touch the original. The boxy, utilitarian design is the antithesis of what is going on in the industry (rakish rooflines, etc) and would boast a lot of benefits like additional cabin room. As for competition, CAR says the new “GLG” would be a aimed at the Land Rover Defender due later in the decade.

Mercedes-Benz-GLK-Class_2013_1280x960_wallpaper_01-623x431.jpg
Mercedes-Benz-GLK-Class_2013_1280x960_wallpaper_01-623x431.jpg (58.31 KiB) [ Viewed 572 times ]
Mercedes-Benz-GLK-Class_2013_1280x960_wallpaper_01-623x431.jpg [ 58.31 KiB | Viewed 572 times ]

Where the mini-G idea derails though is when CAR says the GLG would be based on the Mercedes Front Architecture. This platform underpins the A- and B-Class, in addition to the upcoming CLA small sedan. Is the GLG actually the GLA that we’ve been hearing about? Apparently so. If they want to make it a soft-roader, that’s fine – just don’t label it a baby G-Class or a Defender competitor. It would need to have serious off-road capability to claim that mantle, and in that regard the MFA platform just wouldn’t cut it. Now, Range Rover Evoque competitor? That sounds more like it.

source:Read Article
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Re: Mercedes-Benz May Add GLG Crossover To Lineup

Postby root on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:06 am

Maybe its being lined up against the BMW X1 and Audi Q3?
Neither have really done that great over here - fuel is not that expensive yet, and the roads and parking spaces are wide in the city!
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Return to SUV, 4x4, Trucks