Advice Needed - Roomy 4x4 to go Offroad

Discuss the best SUV or 4-Wheel Drive to get or not to get....

Advice Needed - Roomy 4x4 to go Offroad

Postby NewTex on Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:25 pm

I have done some research but would like to hear from others. I am looking for a 4x4 with the following characteristics:

1. 3 rows - these need to be useful. We have two children and expect to haul guests around, so somebody will have to sit in the back.
2. Real Offroad - We expect to go camping and want something that can handle the necessary offroading without emergency help.
3. Budget - Would like to keep it under AED 150,000, but am really interested in good value.

I had narrowed this down to getting a Toyota or Nissan because of their reputations and because the American cars have such low resales. Didn't see much else that would fit the criteria above. The Prado seemed good, but I am worried that it may not do well offroad. The land cruisers seem obscenely expensive compared to similar vehicles. Haven't heard much about the Nissans, although I wasn't blown away when I sat in one in the showroom. I would consider buying used, but it will need to be reliable, as my wife will drive it on a daily basis.

Any thoughts? Am I missing any 4x4s that I should be considering.

Also, will new car dealers negotiate on prices?

Thanks,
NewTex
NewTex

My Profession: Lawyer
My Dream Ride: 911

Re: Advice Needed - Roomy 4x4 to go Offroad

Postby T.N.T on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:50 pm

Your choices are the Prado, Patrol and Pathfinder.
Prado will be replaced soon so I don't recommend that.
Patrol and Pathfinder are great options and the Patrol is certainly the better one among the two. I'm not sure about the price though, do check with the dealers.
If it doesn't work out, the only proper option will be the Pathfinder. Some people argue that rear seat room isn't great in the Pathfinder, though it all comes down to personal preference.
Visit your local Nissan dealer and check out the Patrol and Pathfinder, do write back about your experience.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:13 am

Check what fits your budget in the New Cars section on this site - we just launched it, so would love people to start using it.

I see both Prado and Patrol as options and good options for Offroading. If you go with Prado go with the VX 6-cylinder one as you may need the extra power while duning.
The Nissan Patrol starts at 150k, and its a great off-roader.

Pathfinder is kinda ok, but clearance is low on the current generation. Great for city, but offroading may require some different wheels.

There is Nissan Xterra that is good for off-roading but aint a 3 row one.

You also have the Mitsu Pajero as a choice among the Japs. Will also fit your budget.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby NewTex on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:17 am

Thanks for the help.

When will the new Prados be out? Next summer?

How accurate are the prices in your New Vehicles section? There is a huge spread on prices for the Patrol. Will the dealer negotiate the price of a new vehicle? If so, how much.

Again, thanks.
NewTex

My Profession: Lawyer
My Dream Ride: 911

Postby root on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:01 pm

The spread is based on the options one gets. The starting price is where they start, and then grows with options added.

New Prado..slated for 2010 release. I doubt we see it before October 2009.
Still am to see any spy shots.

On negotiations, well, the dealers do not give more than a couple of thousand off, which is their discount limit at a salesman level. However, if there are special offers these days due to new car sales slump you might be able to catch a bigger discount. Honda has a 5000 off all new cars these days (this is after hiking the prices by 10-15k earlier this year).
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby navadv on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:32 pm

I know not many people think of this... But my recommendation is the Toyota Fortuner.

I have one and I use it in the desert. Has the same 4.0L engine as the Prado/FJ and costs a whole lot less. Great ground clearance and 3 rows like you need that are useable and roomy. The extra money saved (costs about 110K full option), can go towards any mods to make it even better.

I would even suggest an Xterra (not sure if it has 3 rows), but i'll definitly vouch for the Fortuner. Its a budget offroader and its good!
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

Postby kapil on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:57 pm

NewTex,

read my post on prjero vs prado.... it will give you a lot of details.

In my opinion your real choice would be between, prado, fortuner and pajero in your budget.

Best value for money.... Pajero 3.8 (Only) with the current free servicing offer its killing...an it ahs teh smallest turning radius and hence comparitively easy to negotiate in parking slots.
Fortuner is also a good option and very capable but the tread is a little less wider than prado an you pay for all the servicing..
Prado is the costliest of the lot and you pay for servicing. It is also teh quitest of teh lot and goes anywhere. Off-road performance is good but it has an issue with steep inclines due to teh long overhang.

If you can make do with two rows, then look for an older version of Pathfinder... fantastic offroader and onroad performance is also good... The current generation Pathfinder doesn't have the same capability primarily due to low ground clearence as pointed in a previous post here..

BTW.... you get real good deals on used Z71 Tahoes.. a 2007 would cost you about 125 to 135k (new is about 170k) depending on teh condition... they offer the best luxury and space and if you are going to keep it for about 4-5 years, I think this really is the best choice!!

Do let us know what you decide.

all teh best
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Wrangler YJ - 95
My Profession: ****
My Dream Ride: Sukohi Su 30-mki

Postby supernova on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:36 pm

Hi guys, i am currently looking for a roomy 4x4 and i have actually found the best value for money can buy 4x4 and i am really tempted to buy it this weekend, i know some of you may think it is ugly, but the fact of the matter is it is safe it is powerful and drives nice for a big 4x4, ok ok without making wait too long it is the dodge Durango slt which is the basic option, i just loved the V8 HEMI :) and now it is so cheap to buy why on earth should i pay 100k for Pajero with a wimpy engin :) or 120k for the same year model Tahoe ? for 75k you can get a 2007 Durango with about 20k on the clock and almost 2 years dealrs warrnaty.
what do you think should i go for it? or do you think the prices will go even cheaper than this?
by the way i just bought my self a Nissan altima 3.5l V6 i love it :) now i am selling my Touareg and my wifes Pathfinder. as soon as i get the Durango after your feedback :)
supernova
Tuner
Tuner

Postby T.N.T on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:45 pm

The price seems right, try negotiating more though.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby supernova on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:48 pm

i did negotiate, the first price was 76k but he reduced it to 73k then at the end i offered 65k :) and the final no messing around price was 68k is that better? i mentioned 73k just to get some reactions :) but this is for cash.
supernova
Tuner
Tuner

Postby root on Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:58 pm

A brand new Durango SLT is around 100k. I would say 20% first year, 15% next year, so you are looking at about 65k. Given and take a few Ks for low mileage and condition, so you are in the right ball-park area.
It's a buyers market these days, so you are in advantage.

Just remember that this baby has got a huge appetite for 95 Octane.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to SUV, 4x4, Trucks