LEXUS RX350 2008

Discuss the best SUV or 4-Wheel Drive to get or not to get....

LEXUS RX350 2008

Postby Dave on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:42 pm

Hi,

Am interested in buying the RX350 base version in its current avatar (AED 155K). However, have been advised that production on this particular model stops in Dec and 2009 onwards, the new RX350 would be available.

Would this mean that the earlier model would immediately depreciate faster?

Also, does the 2008 RX 350 command a good re-sale or not? Was advised that the base model is not much in demand?

Would appreciate any advise on my queries.

Many Thanx - Dave.
Dave
Rookie
Rookie

My Profession: Engineer
My Dream Ride: Maybach

Re: LEXUS RX350 2008

Postby root on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:04 pm

Over here, once the shape changes you see higher depreciation. I guess that goes with all models.

If I was you, I would wait for the 2009 model instead. The car looks new and fresh for longer.

Resale wise, Lexus is always good. The RX-350 is not the most popular Lexus around (ES and IS take that), but also not as popular as the Infiniti FX. But I am sure it's still not a bad resale.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby Dave on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:32 am

Thanx Root - for the reply. I was told that the new RX would be in the range of AED 200K base version putting it way outta my budget -but you are right - I can always wait another month now. The FX has become too expensive as well. I stretched the budget to 155K only coz its a Lexus.

All discussions point me back to the Prado - which seems the only sensible choice - best mix of a proper off-roader and a family vehicle. The only things against the Prado in my mind are - Price, Safety features, fuel economy and too common. But when you consider the re-sale value and reliability of the vehicle, I guess it is the best choice?

Am also wondering if getting a vehicle loan would be a problem with the economic situation slowly affecting the UAE too - and whether it is a good thing to go in for such heavy loans now.

Anyway, getting back to the discussion, do you know if its all right to buy a Prado (for example) from Dynatrade (Oman imports) instead of Al futtaim. And whether I can get extra specs for the same price from Dynatrade and also whether this has any effect on re-sale?

Thanx again - Dave.
Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Postby kapil on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Hey Dave, Prado is a good choice but if you want to take it to the sand you would have to be careful as the front overhang gets caught in steep inclines...

It has an excellent resale as is also the case with pajero... but ifyour car is for more on road use then teh prado is quiter than teh pajero... but if want to send a decent time in teh desert I would say pajero.... but that's just my opinion...

The Oman prado has more options against the UAE one... also the warranty etc is as good by Dynatrade as is for teh UAE car.

you get only 1 free service with prado but the pajero (was coming, check the current offer) with 50,000 kms free service, at about 25k-28k cheaper for the full option, with much less body roll but a stiffer ride, much better sound system and much better 3rd row space and same resale value command if not more than the prado!!

Getting a loan is ok, try the Abu Dhabi islamic bank.. there rates were the lowest a lil while ago @ 2.99% for 100% finance..

But again, this is my opinion. i would also strongly suggest a you drive whatever vehicle you are buying over the surfaces that you are used to (e.g... road to work and back) and that you intend to.. ( sand, rough patches etc)...

All the best.....
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Wrangler YJ - 95
My Profession: ****
My Dream Ride: Sukohi Su 30-mki

Postby T.N.T on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:41 pm

New Prado coming soon, just like the RX. I posted the new RX here, take a look:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3185
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby kapil on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:58 pm

i saw an ad for the prado last week... was it for the current one?

also, checked for the new pajero (2009) 128k for 3.8 full option with 50,000 kms free service!! Personally, i don't think it gets any better!!
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

Postby Dave on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:40 am

Hi Kapil,
Thanx for the message. Ours is a family of 4 (2 lil kids) and my daily commute is from Sharjah to Dubai and back. With a hectic 6 day week, there is hardly any time for off-road activity. That is the reason why I was considering the RX350 in the first place. However, when you pay in excess of AED 100K, I guess one should get a proper 4x4 - when the opportunity arises, at least you know your vehicle is capable.

My wife was against the look of the Pajero - but last night's visit to the Sharjah Auto Show made her appreciate the price difference between the Pajero and the Prado. She liked the interior of the Pajero as well. Price for the Pajero is 119K full options - 2 door - which we both liked a lot - but 131K full options for the 4 door which is a lot more car and options for an extra 11K.

Prado on the other hand is AED 138K (Dynatrade) for the mid range version - all power options, alloys, cool box, Cruise control, Rear spoiler, Normal airbags, ABS, dual fuel tanks, CD changer and fabric seats. So, wondering whether the 7K difference is ok between the two.

However, as you rightly pointed out, what does make a difference is the free insurance, 50K Kms free service, full options with additional safety features, etc. in favour of the Pajero. Yes I do intend to test drive both vehicles at the earliest. Travelling in traffic - its probably better to have a vehicle that ensures better response for point-and-shoot style of driving huh? My thoughts as of now are the Prado is probably better with its more powerful engine - then again I may be wrong? I did enjoy driving the RX350 in city traffic though.

I guess the final decision is between the Pajero 2 dr, Pajero 4 dr and the Prado now. Any advice to help my decision would be appreciated.

Cheers - Dave.
Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Postby kapil on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:33 pm

Good to know you are taking time to decide cause you will have to wake up to it every moring... between these three none is a bad choice!! the 3.8 Pajaro is only about 1 sec slower than the prado in 0-100 dash, (though it feels a bit more). The SWB would make up for this difference...

The prado on the other hand is much quiter while crusing and smooth over small disturbances on the road but the pajero handles the speed bumps better as it pitches much less (also caller YAW) ie.. jumping movement front to back when you take a speed bump a faster pace. The prado has a significant body roll but it stabalises after a while but its enough to unnerve most drivers. Pajero LWB on the other hand is very contoled this is due to teh independent rear suspension.. The SWB can take the same turn at about 20 km/h faster speeds...

The only thing about the 2 door is that u'll have to put the seat up and down every time someone gets in the back....

The pajero (full option) would also give you a diffrential lock for extreme off-roading with much better ability to handle steep inclines...it is also a rear (2) wheel drive where as teh prado is 4 wheel drive...

I think you are faced with a tough decision!! ;-) Personally, I would go for teh prado if i want the luxury feel and teh pajero is more practical (more 3rd row space) and more car for a lesser price...

THe SWB is more sportier, agile, controlled and easy to park in teh tight spots!!

Oh, also.. the music system the Pajero is just fantastic and miles apart from any toyota!! ( and you need it for those long on road hours on you comute!)

BTW... hoz teh auto show? I plan to go on friday at 3
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

Postby Dave on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:19 am

Hi Kapil,

Thanx for the detailed comparison. I guess the Pajero is more value for money. Will drive both in the next couple of weeks and then decide. Also - take a look at the pix of the new RX350 to be available in Feb09 - looks better than the earlier model I guess... but need more pix and of course nothing like seeing it in the skin.

The visit to the Sharjah Auto Show was good. The new Merc GLK looks better than in pix. AT 185K, its quite pricey I guess - but looks fresh. Opel have displayed a soft roader (from the looks of it) called Antara. Audi's A4 is much better than the previous model I feel. The fleets of BMW, Merc, Audi, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Chevy, etc. are all there. The antique cars are on display in one section - liked them all.

However, no Toyota/Lexus, Range Rover, Ford or VW in the show. Wonder why..... also it didn't feel like a glam auto show - like what you would find in Dubai I suppose - or maybe that is because it was the first day. The off road course has been set up outside. And BMW have a high speed slalom run for free to anyone who has a licence. Looked interesting - but had to get back home and could not take part in it.

Cheers - Dave.
Attachments
rx350interior.jpg
rx350interior.jpg (124.63 KiB) [ Viewed 977 times ]
rx350interior.jpg [ 124.63 KiB | Viewed 977 times ]

rx350front.jpg
rx350front.jpg (140.13 KiB) [ Viewed 975 times ]
rx350front.jpg [ 140.13 KiB | Viewed 975 times ]

Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Postby kapil on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:43 am

here must have been a que at teh bmw stalll?? but it does sound interesting....... the new rx look nice but i would still gete a proper 4x4 for that kind of money... but that's only me ;-)
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

Postby Dave on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:07 am

There were not many people at the show on the first day. But am sure you will find a proper crowd on the weekends.

Agree with what you are saying - "proper 4x4". Am of the same opinion, but wife likes the refinement of the RX350 and of course the brand image that comes with it as well. I guess test drives in the Pajero and Prado will make her change her mind.

Whats your opinion on the Touareg? I understand the base version starts around AED 150K? Although I like it, am scared of reliability and higher depreciation of these vehicles. One of my colleagues (he's French) said its better than the Jap cars I am considering and also more fuel efficient. I asked him about electrical problems - but he claims there are none so far on his Touareg. I told him all such problems apparently start after the first 2 years.

Anyway - have a good visit to the show today.
Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Postby kapil on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:31 pm

Touareg is a nice capable vehicle, but it depriciates faster. I am not too aware of any problems or issues. The jap acrs you are thinking about would give you about 7 km/lt in city.

I hope its not very crowded when i get to teh show!!

Do let us know when you finalise you vehicle!
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

Postby root on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:02 pm

The Touareg is definitely a good choice. I don't think it depreciates as fast - probably same as BMW.
But for 150k you get the basic model. You add a few basic frills and you are upto 170-180k. Then you might as well go for the Porsche Cayenne V6 as it has better brand image, looks and resale.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby Dave on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:11 am

Guys,

Apologise for the delay - work was too hectic and just could not get on with my car hunt. What I did manage however was a visit to the VW showroom in Sharjah. Although I could not do a test drive, wife liked the Touareg a lot - especially the two new colours - offroad grey and the brown. I knew it was outta my budget but was still tempted to find out.

Apparently the mid range Touareg (2009) is readily available for AED 162K which includes cruise control, wooden trim, a good music system, excellent fit and finish, and a few other goodies like 18" alloys, chrome, etc. The salesman said that the Treg requires an oil change/service for every 15K Kms unlike the Jap cars which need one for every 5K Kms. He also said that the first service will be for free (but I will need to pay for the oil, etc. - which I did not understand....).

With the above, I think its either the Pajero fully loaded (lotsa value for money), or the Touareg (which seems to be worth its price??). Only concern was with reliability on the Touareg - which I think has been addressed by VW over the past few years since the launch of the Touareg? The US news ranking and reviews site ranks the Touareg as mediocre for reliability in pre-2009 model reviews.

Anyways - also saw the Tiguan at the Showroom. Pretty roomy for such a small car. Price starts from AED 113K. Considering traffic and parking problems in Dubai - seems to be just the right size. Plus its supposed to be quite a performer too - still too new and has to prove its worth on road first I guess.

So, my hunt is still on. Cheers for now.
Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Dave on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:24 am

Just remembered the VW salesman mentioned the Treg comes with either a 3 or a 5 yr unlimited mileage warranty as well.
Dave
Rookie
Rookie

Next

Return to SUV, 4x4, Trucks