Honda Pilot

Discuss the best SUV or 4-Wheel Drive to get or not to get....

Honda Pilot

Postby ferozabbas on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:43 am

Hi,

I have Nissan Pathfinder 2003 model, now i am planning to shift to Honda Pilot. Is it worth buying and may i know the performance?

Regards,

xxx
ferozabbas

Re: Honda Pilot

Postby root on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:26 am

Go for it!

It's a new model with new shape, a Honda and very successful in North America. Engine size is good and performance is great.

Only downsides...some people don't like its looks + its not been as popular as the other japanese SUV brands. However, I think the later will change once Al-Futtaim start marketing this correctly.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby kapil on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:29 pm

If you take your pathfinder to the desert or cross any soft sandy areas in your daily drive, make your you test the Pilot in such locations.

Its an updated MRV and the MRV just sinks in the sand. I have pulled out so many of them behind sahara center when that area was not fenced.
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Wrangler YJ - 95
My Profession: ****
My Dream Ride: Sukohi Su 30-mki

Postby T.N.T on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:51 pm

kapil wrote:If you take your pathfinder to the desert or cross any soft sandy areas in your daily drive, make your you test the Pilot in such locations.

Its an updated MRV and the MRV just sinks in the sand. I have pulled out so many of them behind sahara center when that area was not fenced.

What car did you use?
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:10 pm

MRV sinking in sand...I'm trying to figure out why it would be worse off than other SUVs in the same category.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby T.N.T on Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:22 pm

I don't have experience with an MR-V so I won't say much but what logical reason is there for it to sink in the sand?
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby supernova on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:11 pm

Hi guys, it has been a long time since i have participated in this forum, hope everyone is doing well.
since last time when i was searching for a car if you remember i ended up buying a 2003 pathfinder, now time has come and i am looking for a replacement SUV, this time it has to be a 7 seater :)
i completely disagree that the MRV sinks in the sand, because whats funny, the other day we went to the beach with my friend who has an MRV and i was in the pathfinder, he got to the front of the beach with no problems and my car was struggling until i got completely stuck and guess what from stand still with my car belly on the sand 2 wheels in the air he puled me out like tank, i realized all his wheels where turning at the same time which was not the case in my pathfinder, because there is not technology in the old Nissan. and this was not the only time i have witnessed an MRV gliding on the sand, if all your wheels are turning and you have the correct air pressure in your tires, thats what makes the difference. well at least in that situation.
did you conceder the Mazda CX-9 ? i went for a test drive yesterday and i liked it, it was sporty for a big car.
supernova
Tuner
Tuner

Postby root on Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:13 am

That lays some ambiguity to rest. I had a hard time to swallow what Kapil wrote about the MRV.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kapil on Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:36 pm

I think its all personal experiences and a lot of luck for an average driver on sand!!

I have seen so many 2004 and prior pathfinders running up the big red and yes the ones prior to the 2005 models don't have a locking transfer case.

The MRV is very powerful but teh clearance is is less compared to other SUVs and its also true that the transfer case locks so all wheels turn.

an suv will strugle in even a lil bit ofsand if the front axel is not engaging and it really is not a far fetched reality. I had this problem with my 95 YJ as it would just get stuck the moment I would put it down the road.

Also, an suv without teh transfer case lock has difficulty in sand. I have used my pajero to pull out the MRVs. but even otherwise if you put the pajero in 4 wheel drive and try to climb up a sand 'ant hill' it will not take you anywher but about two feet up and the wheels height down in the sand !!. from there if you put it in the '4HLc ' mode the troque is forced to the front wheels and it just pulls itself out. Most SUVs (all from toyota) now a days come with permanent 4 wheel drive and the transfer lever only takes it to 4HLlc or 4LLlc. This is how the MRV also works. Its a great off-raoder. you take it to the wadis and field where there is no road and its just superb, but again, in my opinion and experience, which might not be the same with a lot of people, I would really look at something else, if I were to take my suv into sand.

If there is no sand involved, then its really nice.

BTW, have you notice the MRV and Pilot ads, they all focus on rocky and trail, offroad and long drives. No where is teh big red in picture!!
kapil
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Wrangler YJ - 95
My Profession: ****
My Dream Ride: Sukohi Su 30-mki

Postby T.N.T on Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:15 pm

kapil wrote:BTW, have you notice the MRV and Pilot ads, they all focus on rocky and trail, offroad and long drives. No where is teh big red in picture!!

Because they are cars engineered in the USA! ^
One look at the MRV's shifter will tell you so.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:03 pm

Kapil seems to know his 4x4 duning! Impressed me! :)
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to SUV, 4x4, Trucks