feedback on prado vs. honda mrv vs. mazda cx 9

Discuss the best SUV or 4-Wheel Drive to get or not to get....

feedback on prado vs. honda mrv vs. mazda cx 9

Postby alialiali on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:49 pm

am trying to buy a 7 seater suv for family use in dubai. stuck between the 3 cars mentioned :

1. prado seems safest bet but the drive felt very 'jello'like and it swings quite a bit on turning. Like the look/prestige but turned off the safety feel.

2. honda mrv - soft drive but bulky. no-one seems to have much of an opinion on it! is it not popular in dubai and would resale be a problem?

3. Mazda cx 9 is great value but the mazda brand seems a bit down market - lacks the "in" factor.

any opinions? am i totally off the track here?
alialiali

Postby root on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:59 pm

Hard choice!

Prado is the best selling 4x4 here. It is a great on-road and off-road vehicle. Good resale as well. Only downside I see here is that there might be a new shape coming next year or the year after.

Honda MRV...good reliable vehicle. Sells great in North America but you are right that over here its not that popular. If you are keeping for a few years, it might be fine. Resale slightly less than the Toyotas, but popularity is growing as I see more of these. Looks wise, ain't that great. Interior is also mediocre in my opinion.

Mazda CX-9..I loved the vehicle I saw at the motor show and was good value for money. Its not really an off-roader but more of a city SUV. Too early to say how well it'll do here. Its done well in North America. Besides Mazda 6 and 3 have done fairly well in this market, and they do have a general reputation of sportier cars.

If I was to select one, I'd be as confused as you are ;)
CX-9 is tempting with what you get for the price. I'd definitely take it for ride and see if I like its handling.

You might want to add Mitsu Pajero to your choices.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby navadv on Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:04 pm

Root is dead on....

Except i like the MRV interior..... Somehow its simple, yet very functional. Car is exceptionally smooth - better than a Prado IMO.

The Prado, depending on whether u get a 2.7 or 4.0L, is probably going to be more expensive than the MRV or Mazda. BUT it will retain its value alot better too!

As stated above, the CX-9 is a crossover and not really an offroader.... If im buying a big 4x4, i would prefer to have the choice of using it for light offroading...

If your looking for a cheaper alternative, how about the Fortuner?
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

Postby root on Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:41 pm

Is the 2008 MRV any different than the 2007 one?
I saw an ad in this mornings paper about the new 2008 MRV..blah blah.

Shape looks the same, but I did notice some nicer styles on the bumper and rear-lights. Wondering if there are changes or just a pimped up picture.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby root on Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:00 pm

Looks like (after some research) that 2008 is probably the last year for the current Honda MRV as well, as it is widely anticipated that 2009 a new shape for the Honda Pilot will be released. This means that we see a new MRV next year or latest 2010.

Here are some spyshots that dont really give that much away with the full 'burqa' she is wearing.

root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fayz on Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:44 pm

i wish honda here sold the MDX, I love the look of the new one.

fayz
Tuner
Tuner

Return to SUV, 4x4, Trucks