Subaru Outback vs Honda CRV vs Pajero

Discuss the best SUV or 4-Wheel Drive to get or not to get....

Postby PMS on Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:31 pm

Guys,

You're awesome. I took your advice and shared it around the offcie, as there's quite a few of us on a similar car-buying expedition.

My brother told me it's foolish to get a Pajero when I could get a Rav 4 for a similar price. He says it's more balanced towards my prospective blend of on/off road driving. He also said it's prettier, and better on-road handling...

He said to ask about comparative reslae of New Style Pajero vs Rav 4.

Hoe much are they? I called and was told that it's 87/94/98/107 as you add on features, sun roof, leather seats etc.
Is that for 2 doors or 4 doors?
PMS
Rookie
Rookie

Postby PMS on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:44 pm

I'm going to do test drives tomorrow.
Pajero and Rav 4.

Prices - old style Pajero SWB M/L - 79k
new style Pajero of same specs - 92k
Rav 4 (4 door) auto matic M/L (no fancy leather for me) 92 (dropped from 94 without me even asking... why??)

Thoughts?
PMS
Rookie
Rookie

Pajero vs Rav4

Postby root on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:00 pm

Well, Pajero and Rav4 are not really in the same class/type of vehicles.

Pajero is a tough, large, off-roader that does great in the city as well.

Rav4 is really a city SUV, and you can take it up and out for off-roading but really is a large city vehicle.

Pajero would compare with Toyota Prado and Fortuner.

Rav4 would compare with Mitsubishi Nativa, Pajero IO, or to some extent Mitsubishi Outlander.

The new RAV4s are becoming bigger, so the differences between the 4 door RAV4 and the Prado and Fortuner is becoming less..but still its really a city SUV.

Being a city SUV, its definitely more comfortable, and better on-road handling.

Resale and popularity wise, Pajero is far more popular than Rav4. People like it for its large size (3 rows) and its off-road capabilities. You'll notice a lot more Pajeros on the street than Rav4.

End of the day, its important to get what you feel suits you. Good that you are test driving em.

Whatever you do, get the new shape...its a few grand extra now, which you get back on resale. Both have had a recent face uplift so it should not be changing much for a couple of years.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby navadv on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:08 pm

Resale and popularity wise, Pajero is far more popular than Rav4. People like it for its large size (3 rows) and its off-road capabilities. You'll notice a lot more Pajeros on the street than Rav4

The Pajero is a very good all rounder and is quite common. However i am going to disagree on the Resale part - Rav4 will hold its value better than a pajero will.
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

Postby T.N.T on Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:30 pm

Call me whatever but I always liked the Explorer more than the Fortuner. :wink:
I agree with navadv on the resale part.
A Rav4 is a better buy than the Pajero if you won't be going off-roading frequently and don't have more than 5 people to haul around. (the Rav4 is more spacious than MOST SUVs in the back, including the Pajero) You'll also save fuel and get the solid Toyota reliability and ownership experience. The Rav4, being a 'city SUV' is more easier to haul around the city and park compared to the Pajero and you still get the commanding view and safe feel. The Rav4, being more adapted to the city, is even safer thanks to better roll-over angles compared to the Pajero.
I am not exactly saying that the Rav4 is better than the Pajero, but I am just suggesting that you buy something that fulfills your requirements better. Both of the SUVs are good and have their own strong points.
Just ask yourself three questions:

Do I need 7 seats?
Will I be going off-road very frequently and in tough terrains?
Am I ready to pay for the fuel consumption of a V6?

If your answer to all of them is 'NO', then buy a Rav4. If it is 'YES', then go for the Pajero.
I still would recommend going for something that your heart feels content with.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Previous

Return to SUV, 4x4, Trucks