Subaru Outback vs Honda CRV vs Pajero

Discuss the best SUV or 4-Wheel Drive to get or not to get....

Subaru Outback vs Honda CRV vs Pajero

Postby PMS on Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:37 pm

Guys,

Looking for a new car, available now-ish in Dubai.
I find the CRV pretty, the Outback comfortable (I have never had a 4x4 before) and the small Pajero practical.

The prices are similar, but not so sure about quality, warranty coverage, parts/repairs costs, road safety etc.

I will not use the car off road (as far as I can imagine). I cannot drive manual, and will sell the car and leave Dubai in about 3 or 4 years (before the warranty expires).

Any help for a slightly clueless (but trying very hard) expat girl?

Thanks!
PMS
PMS
Rookie
Rookie

Postby T.N.T on Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:15 pm

I've got a few questions.
Are you talking about a brand new car?
If yes, what do you mean by 'small Pajero'?
If you have never owned an SUV before and don't plan on going off-road, then I guess the CRV is your best bet. Selling Subaru's can be a bit of a problem here.
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby PMS on Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:25 pm

Hey mate!
Thanks for being so quick to help.

Yeah, I mean brand new. People have discouraged me from getting used... and I fancy the idea of having a comprehensive warranty.

Subaru was my planned next car back in Aus, but since taking a job out here in Dubai, I've opened my mind up to a few extra options. The bad bit is the CRV availability - the Honda people have told me I'd be lucky to get one in April. Seems like a bloody long time to wait. The Subarus are in stock, mostly... and contrary to the comments on this website, have been quite attentive thus far.

I had a rented Mazda 6 until recently - somebody drove into the back of it, and it really crumpled up like a coke can! Makes me want a bigger car - the drivers here are lunatics, and I like to be safe. I toyed with Volvo, but dismissed it due to the cost.

If I had wasta, I'd get a very pretty version of Subaru Forrester, like they have in Australia. www.subaru.com.au

BUT seems like Dubai only gets the dodgy left-overs.

What would you do?
PMS
Rookie
Rookie

Postby T.N.T on Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:57 pm

I would go and buy a JAPANESE 4x4. Consider alternatives like the Rav4, Fortuner, X-Trail etc.
What about your budget? I'd be able to help you better if you could tell me how much you plan on spending on a new 4x4.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby PMS on Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:53 am

I think Rav 4 is over-rated and very expensive compared to prices @ home in Australia. Subaru is loved in Aus, and the prices here are much better due to its unpopularity. I am sure that'll change in the next few years - it's too good a car to remain unpopular.

Budget is 90k, 3 year loan.
PMS
Rookie
Rookie

Postby T.N.T on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:11 pm

The Subaru is a good ride, BUT brand recognition is zero. The Australian market cannot be compared to the UAE at all. Subaru's have been selling here since years but I still have no idea when they'll gain fame.
If you like the Subaru a lot, and don't car about resale value, then go for it!
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby Happy_GoLucky on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:29 pm

Well, TNT pretty much covered all the points. But here are my comments:

- subaru are not popular...As TNT said, you WILL lose out on value when you sell it (IF you can sell it) after 3 years...But buy it if you really want too...Laugh now, cry later...

- CRV: I sat inside the CRV and I quite liked it. A lot more modern than rav4, xtrail and the other jap Suv's... Go for the 90K CRV with the additional safety options et al. If I could, I would definately go for the CRV...

- Xtrail: I was personally disgusted when I sat inside the Xtrail. Most of the research I have done, involves seeing how comfortable I feel inside the vehicle and the quality of the interior...Nissan Xtrail was poor...very badly designed...

- Pajero. 2 Door pajeros are expensive. And 4 doors will not be 90k surely...I thought they would start for more? Great cars for the occaisonal off-roading or beach BBQ...

- Rav 4: Over priced...way overpriced. But will hold its value.

-Fortuna: pick up the 2.7 Litre for about 80K...cant go wrong. Basic interior, but solid toyota servicing, reliability...

So I guess you have the following options:

Buy the subaru and enjoy life in dubai for 3 years..., Buy the CRV and enjoy hassle free motoring..., buy one of the other suvs and enjoy ugly hassle free motoring.

Note I didnt even mention the BMW x5/ X3 (eugh...!), Land rovers...

Head on down to 4x4 motors and see if they have any Subaru foresters...

I am trying to sell my mazda 6. And I will have 60 to 80k budget to spend soon...But I have yet decide myself...I want the CRV...but who wants to wait for 2 months?

Plus I may opt for a used Honda S2000 or Nissan 350Z for 80-90K...if I can find one...your only young once
:lol:
Happy_GoLucky
Ride Pimper
Ride Pimper

my 2 fils

Postby root on Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:28 pm

I've been out for a while and not participated in this discussion.

Subaru resale sucks and takes longer to sell off. As long as you know that, theres nothing wrong with the vehicle.

If you want a 4x4 and want good resale ones, first comes Toyota, then Mitsubishi and Nissan and then Honda (dont know why Honda is not higher).

In your budget there are several models that will fit in. Just remember that if you go for 5 year financing you can slightly go up in price...when you sell after 3 years, your total cash outlay will not differ too much.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby T.N.T on Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:43 pm

I was personally disgusted when I sat inside the Xtrail. Most of the research I have done, involves seeing how comfortable I feel inside the vehicle and the quality of the interior...Nissan Xtrail was poor...very badly designed...

Either you don't own an X-Trail, or just sat in the interior for 2 minutes. According to me, the interior is great. Material quality is awesome, its ahead of may other aesthetically and ergonomically. The seat fabric feels spectacular and the seats are very well bolstered.

Buy the subaru and enjoy life in dubai for 3 years..., Buy the CRV and enjoy hassle free motoring..., buy one of the other suvs and enjoy ugly hassle free motoring.

The CRV is plug-ugly from the rear and the interior room is satisfactory, though its a nice ride overall.

Note I didnt even mention the BMW x5/ X3 (eugh...!), Land rovers...

X3, O K, might be ugly. But Range Rover, X5? :shock:

Plus I may opt for a used Honda S2000 or Nissan 350Z for 80-90K...if I can find one...your only young once

You'll only find one in that price range if you are very lucky.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby PMS on Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:33 am

I went to look at Pajeros yesterday, and also the Honda CRV (all new). The Honda people were completely disinterested, as there's nothing available now... it's going to be a long wait for anybody wanting a CRV, and Honda are not specific with dates.

The Mitsubishi people offered me absolutely no help. They all sat on their arses whilst I wondered around trying to get some help. They started to drink tea and speak Arabic with each other whenevr I actually approached to ask for help. I hate the UAE version of customer service. If this is what it is like pre-sale, imagine afterwards! I didn't get to do a test drive, and had no help understanding why the older style brand new 2007 cars are 13,000 dhs less than the new style of the same year.

I saw some used landrovers for around 80k on the web - woudl that be a better purchase then a brand new pajero? And would it be better to buy the mid-level 2 door Pajero for 79k or 92k (old style vs new style)?

For some reason I am not enjoying the whole car shopping thing in Dubai. It's much more fun at home where people seem keen to sell you something and treat you decently in the showrooms. Here I feel like I need to beg to get any help at all. Sorry to whine - it's just a bit upsetting and a real let-down after going out of my way to get to the showroom.

Where do I arrange my insurance, and do I have to pay for 13 months up-front? That's assuming I manage to get a car...
PMS
Rookie
Rookie

Postby navadv on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:28 am

Hey,

PMS - at the moment there is a 2005 Honda s2000 for 95K in Automall - 04 295 4246 if ur interested. I suggest u bargain alot and u should be able to get it for around 92K, if not lower :)

About customer service - ur bang on - its not only you that has faced this problem.... Everyone complains !
Thing is, for Honda and Toyota - they sell sooo many cars, they dont really need u (its more like u need them :? )...weird, i knw!

Ok - Pajero = new one is decent, checked it out last week... Rear Diff lock and a new 12 speaker sound system is really all the differentiates it from the older model (besides cosmetic changes).
Somehow i dont really like their interiors when compared to Toyota or Honda.... feels 'off' somehow - cant explain it (but that could just be me)

The reason u are getting a brand new pajero for 13K less, is because it is an older shaped 2006 model vs. the newer shaped 2007 model. Basically they are trying to get rid of old stock, so they sell it at a discounted price.

I would not suggest u go for a Land Rover.
They are good run around cars, but are known to occasionally have some problems = which will cost $$.

I guess it really depends on what u want and what ur willing to spend. For 80K u could buy a used land rover or a brand new Pajero or even a Fortuner. Personally i would go for a new car, especially since a used Land Rover around 80K will be atleast 3-5 years old.

How come no one has mentioned a Suzuki Grand Vitara? - 2.7L V6 - full options with leather for 92K (not that u need leather in this weather :roll: )... otherwise its about 85K (if im not mistaken)
Damn good resale, problem free, and it looks good too :P

i am actually on the lookout for a 2003-04 Model - if anyone has one, or knows of one for sale - pls let me knw! :)
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

resale?

Postby root on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:02 pm

navadv, Vitara with great resale? Since when? I hardly see this vehicle on the road...but its great value and has great reviews...but no respect in the UAE market...a bit like the Subaru.

PMS...car sales people suck here! Specially the new car dealers of the big selling brands. There's just too little inter-dealer competition for them to work harder.

Range rover...it depreciates faster and if something goes wrong, it will cost you and arm and a leg. Otherwise, nice looking ride.

You need to think about a few things before you go out and buy a car:

1. Budget and its elasticity - for instance you might want to spend 90k, but with financing you can afford 120k. Depending on what you buy, they might depreciate similar amounts meaning your total cost of ownership is the same but you drive a nicer car.

2. Resale vs Lifestyle - is your criteria for buying to have good resale, or is it to buy the car you really long for and did not get a chance to buy it before. This is important. If you want resale stick with the japanese brands of Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi. If you want style then go for whatever you long for. My Ozzie neighbour bought 2 Chevys (a caprice and a lumina) when he moved to Dubai, as he reasoned they were really Australian Holdens at almost half the price - a deal he could not say no to.

3. How much you drive - if you are going to spend a lot of time in traffic you need something comfortable and reliable. If you have a short ride to work and want something more to cruise around then something sportier or convertible might be enticing.

4. Off-road or not - many people by 4x4s thinking that they will be offroading a lot. Reality is that they have been in desert once in 2 years. Do a reality check, and if you go occassionally, probably better to rent one instead for that purpose. (If you buy a 4x4 given the traffic situation here, then that is a pretty good valid reason in my opinion).

On insurance...there are a lot of them. The dealers normally have some special offers as well. I would suggest to call an Insurance Broker (ask your bank, they normally also have an insurance brokerage section) as then you can pick and choose.

Welcome to UAE!! It gets better once you get a car! ;)
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

yup - resale! =D

Postby navadv on Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:17 pm

Root - very well said...

i think u should make that a "sticky" or post it up somewhere for anyone who wants advice....
PMS - it really does come down to you, what u can afford and what ur looking for... Get answers to what root talked about, and u will have answers on what car to buy :)

And yes - i didnt think soo either, but Vitaras hold their value. Especially the Grand Vitara. (not the XL7!)
Maybe not as much as a Rav4 would, but its decent...

wrong choice of words with "damn good resale" :P
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

Postby T.N.T on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:51 pm

Yeah, a very wrong choice of words. :P
Just get a Fortuner! Its good off-road, looks good, is spacious and will hold its value well.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:24 pm

buy TNTs fortuner, so he can buy a Ford Explorer ;)

just pulling your leg!
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to SUV, 4x4, Trucks