2007 Pathfinder?

Discuss the best SUV or 4-Wheel Drive to get or not to get....

Postby T.N.T on Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:26 pm

The RAV4 isnt exactly a girly car, it might be a soccer mom mobile, but not girly! The Murano IS a girly car. Just look at that face:

And those curves:

It looks girly no matter how good it performs. It will remain girly even if it could complete the quartermile in under 10s!
And BTW, I think you are too fond of girly cars as the H3 'isnt exactly for you'
This is what I call manly:

I would take the H3 over the Murano ANYTIME!
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

h3

Postby root on Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:56 pm

Will not get into the girly vs macho discussion...but am enjoying the debate ;)

Regardig H3, got first hand info of someone who owned one for 6 months who said he was happy to get rid of it. Reason was the quality followed by the service provided by Liberty.

According to him, many things went wrong like panels not working properly, etc and no one at Liberty was able to fix those or answer him. His car would be at the workshop for days at a time and its not what you want when you get a brand new car. His recommendation...stay away from it!

So, even with 4 years warranty, if you are ending up spending too much time going to the workshop and renting alternatives, it might not be worth it.

Damn...it was a pretty good option at around 115-120k.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

It is interesting

Postby supernova on Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:57 am

Hi guys, it is really interesting to read your discussion because I have been through I think all the cars you are talking about because I just sold my 2001 range rover and I have been looking for a replacement for the past 3 weeks.

I agree about the murano it is a good cross over 4x4 with excelent safty but too soft for me. if i want to get somting in that catigory i will go for the FX 35 or even beter FX45 :)

just to add to your comments about the fortuner it is based on the Hi lux pic up with a different suspensions for a better ride and handling it is not based on the land cruiser i know this for sure, i have researched this on the net.
here is my test drive report :) hope you enjoy.

Toyota: I thought the fortuner was good on paper but when I went for a test drive I didn’t like it at all, engine might be similar to the prado but it felt rough and not that powerful and low in torque, the AC was not as good as the Prado and it has the rear AC in the boot ?? which is useless, my family boiled in the back.
then I asked to test drive the prado and that was completely different, much smoother and the engine felt more Torquay and the AC was amazing we didn’t even sweat :)
in the end I decided against the prado for safety reasons only:
No VSC vehicle stability control, I think it should be compulsory for any 4x4
no side curtain Air bags
other wise very nice 4x4 with amazing capabilities and durability.

Honda:
MRV I always like the idea of MRV and have been test driving it 4 times I even took the car off road test drive.
nice to drive spacious, practical, the safest 4x4 crash and rollover rating.
off road was how should I say it? ok if you really have to go off road this isn’t for you.
on the road from stand still initially it has good torque and power but after 2nd gear there is not that much power.
I couldn’t decide on the MRV because it just felt like a people carrier with 4 wheel drive system. not tough enough.

Hummer:
I went to see the Hummer H3 because I love the way it looks.
I wasn’t expecting much on road handling and I was right to think so, the hummer felt too much like a truck bouncy ride but amazing turning circle and no rear AC and bad visibility but still looks very cool.
I wasn’t convinced with hummer and its practicality.

Nissan:

I loved the Armada from Day one, shape, power, safety, space, performance, price, Nissan,

my friend got one 2 months ago and he gave it to me for a day to see how it was,
love that engine and gearbox after 30 min of driving the thing I name it the Nissan armada SS :) I was racing Range rover sport 100 to 160 couldn’t pass me :) i did a 0 to 100 km test in 7 seconds i couldent belive it, so i got my friend to race me in my Honda civic type R which is a 7 sec car and we where head to head i couldent beat him untill he reached 180 km limit in his Armada that amaizing.
handling was ok for such a large 4x4 I wasn’t expecting sports car handling anyway.
fuel economy was a concern but I didn’t care with a performance like that :)

here I was buying 4x4 for mainly my wife to drive 5 days a week shopping school runs etc... and therefore I called my wife to drive it to the shopping centre car park and back home,

she loved it but one BIG problem how the H*&^%L you park this thing it is like as big as a school bus and just as wide :)

she just couldn’t park this thing to save her life and that’s why I am not buying the armada Damn I really loved that truck.

I still haven’t test driven the pathfinder.

Taho:

nice improvment and good to drive but expencive and bad resale value and too big for the car parks :)

Ford:
even though the old explorer had more rollover issues than any other 4x4, I think the company has put all its efforts on making this car safe, it had all the safety features that I want:
Side curtain airbags
VSC
VRC rollover sensor
Traction Control TC
5 star crash rating front and side

we went for a test drive, my wife liked it better than any of the earlier ones and I think she was equally happy with the prado.
I like the drive as well and I think ford has done a good job it is silent and solid my only problem is the power, why on earth they don’t bring the V8 aaahhhhhh!!!

but so far we decided to go with the explorer but I am waiting for 2007 stock to arrive because it doesn’t make since to get 2006 in the last months of 2006 it is like loosing 1 year before you even drive the car :)

last night I started thinking about the jeep commander but I think the resale values of that car is baaad.

on the other hand I would love to have the Toyota land cruiser VXR which is the king of 4x4s and the only Toyota 4x4 comes standard with VSC.

I think I am now going to sleep, please let me know if I am missing any other car in my list of best family SUV or 4x4 which i have to buy before November 3rd.
supernova
Tuner
Tuner

Postby navadv on Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:08 am

Soccer Mum =(same as)= Womanly =(same as)= Girlie :D :lol:

"isnt for me" = because of all the reasons Root just explained. 8) ---(ur just trying to make me look gay u bad bad man :o )

Besides, if i wanted a Hummer - i would take a couple of large card board boxes and shove on some bicycle wheeels and im sure no one would be able to tell the difference.

And those Curves you refer too - thats what makes it soo "sleek" :P

i guess it also depends what picture u look at - ^^^ thats not girlie!! :lol:

Supernova - that was a very nice explanation but i disagree with you on ride quality between a Prado and Fortuner. I found the Prado "heavy" and struggling in pick up compared to the 4.0L Fortuner that seemed lighter and nimbler.
i guess i felt in the Prado you needed to really put ur foot down for it to move, but the Fortuner you didnt need to do that. :?:
(did u test a 4.0 or a 2.7L??)

i totally agree with you on the FX and Armada (manly 4x4s TNT) - wicked rides!! :D
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

great analysis

Postby root on Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:37 pm

Supernova...that was a great analysis. Thanks for sharing that with us!

Reading it all, I am put between Ford and Prado, and I after bad-mouthing Ford almost all my life (except for the T-bird and Mustang), i cant swallow buying one ;)

About missing some... you are still missing a Jeep Cherokee, Dodge Durango and all the Koreans.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby T.N.T on Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:40 pm

Great comments and analysis Supernova.
Well, it does look good in black. Okay, okay, I would consider buying one, but in black ONLY! :P
I dont think the Fortuner is as bad as Supernova said. Maybe because I dont have anyone riding in the back, we dont get those 'boiling' comments.
The Armada and FX are some 'wicked' rides as navadv said. The FX is just like a 'manly' version of the Murano, dont you think? The Armada, well, the best thing about it is the brawny front grille and all that chrome! BTW, i never knew it was that fast, 7 seconds?? I dont think so. I've driven one too and I just loved the V8 rumble. Sounds like an American full-size instead of a Japanese.
Sometimes, I just feel pity for American vehicles. The new range of Ford vehicles is great but because of Ford's hostory of recalls, cheap materials, poor mileage and reliability issues, I think people are underestimating the new stuff. Whatever you guys think of me, I think the Explorer is great as a family vehicle. Its just so complete, and looks good too!
Supernova, I would've opted for the V6 even if the V8 would have been available because it saves gas! And I dont think you'll be engaging in some drag races anytime soon! :P
Navadv, whatever you say about the Hummer's looks, you have to agree that it is a head-turner and full-o bling! 8)
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby navadv on Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:09 pm

Root - hold that thought on Korean cars. You just made me think of a Great 4x4 that is really underestimated

The Hyundai Sante Fe 2006 model is ubbering with new technology and great value as well!!!!

Forget the Ford - go for Hyundai :lol: (im kidding - but i would strongly suggest you consider it, especially since both are in the same price range and both have similar resale values).

TNT - agree with you on the FX - i guess its the grown up Murano. i also agree with you on ur comments on the Fortuner - Root it really isnt that bad.... :)

Anyways - ur money, ur choice - Prado is still a great 4x4. :) [/img]
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

It has been a pleasure

Postby supernova on Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:40 am

Gentlemen, it really is been a pleasure discussing this topic with you all, at last I found like minded people who are on the same frequency to help me decide on my new 4x4.

Navadv: may be I was too negative on the Fortuner because of the AC, but it did feel slower even though I think it is faster if you put it head to head with the prado, it did feel better in corners, lighter than the prado, but the engine did sound rougher and low in initial torque, it reminded me of the corolla :) I think they have reduced the power in that engine and they are not using the same isolation as the Prado. You are right to ask me if I was driving the 2.7 or the 4.0, because when I was done with the test drive I did ask the Toyota guy is this really the 4.0 and I checked it my self in disbelief and it was defiantly the 4.0.

Root: thank you for reading it all :) I was surprised that I wrote so much last night I guess I was hungry to share my thoughts with people who understand this stuff :) I forgot to mention, I did test drive the Durango 3 months ago just for fun, it was pleasant drive again it was very smooth and powerful, it did feel heavy but well controlled for such a mass I was surprised when I took it off road it was really smooth and didn’t bounce around that much but it had very small road clearance. I was very upset when I found out last week that they had a good offer on the Durango 96k full options but they have run out of stock, they are also changing the shape for 2007.
The other jeeps are too small for me.

TNT: Thank you. You don’t have to take my word for the speed and I didn’t do it in a scientific way I did it with a stop watch but here is a clip I got from streetfire, and another link from a trucktrend group test drive. Check it out:
http://videos.streetfire.net/category/N ... ea62fd.htm
http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/suv ... sting.html

Navadv: I think you are reading my mind because I was checking out the Korean sector as you put it and the only one caught my attention was the new Santa fe chicken :) only kidding, but really it looks good in fact no disrespect to the Murano owners the Santa fe looks better it is somehow what the Koreans do best, steal designs from the rest of the world they have mixed the Santa Fe between the Nissan FX and the VW Touareg,
But I think under the skin you can’t compare it with nether cars. I am talking engine and gear box / dif's.

Talk to you guys later.
supernova
Tuner
Tuner

Postby navadv on Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:15 am

Supernova - thanks for that great input once again :)

I guess you are right about your toughts on the Fortuner and Prado. i have to admit too that i did not drive them in the same time frame.
The last time i drove a Prado was probably about 2 months ago, while the Fortuner i only drove last week.

Absolutely agree with you on Hyundai stealing looks from the Fx and Toureg. :wink:

PS - great Video! - i never thought it was that fast! BTW, i actualy like the QX56 better than the Aramada - similar shape but i like it more :)
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

Postby T.N.T on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:58 pm

The Santa Fe is a nice SUV and underestimated as navadv said. Its got a positive review from every automotive testing site.
I like the Durango because it is high on power! That is because of the HEMI. 340hp.
Even I like the QX more because of a few exterior panels and the Infiniti nameplate.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Jeep Commader

Postby supernova on Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:48 am

I just wanted to share this test drive with you guys

It was a quick one because they where closed @1130 tonight.
I asked for the 4.7 V8 commander but they only had the 5.7 HEMI, I thought if I drive this I will never like the 4.7 but I decided to drive it anyway and I was very happy with it, power refined ride good in corners, I can honestly say this was the best 4x4 I have tried in the past 3 weeks. Tomorrow I am going to test drive the 4.7 wish me luck so I like it and buy it and rest my head from this long search

What is the resale value like, I know it is a new model but if I am judging it based on the grand Cherokee resale value it is bad.

I also went to see the land cruiser VXR 2000 us import. To my surprise the care drove like new but I am still concerned to buy a 6 year old car with no history. What do you think?
Should I go for the Explorer or the commander or ditch both and go for the old cruiser?
By the way I had a call from the ford dealer, he told me that the 2007 XLT will arrive in 10 days.

Cheers
supernova
Tuner
Tuner

Postby T.N.T on Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:51 pm

My opinion:
Ditch the Cruiser, it could be risky!
Between the Ford and the Jeep, buy the one which your heart goes with. If you have that outdoorsy spirit and love the muscular looks and that typical jaw grille, go for the Commander.
If you like something that is more sedate and family friendly, Explorer should be your first choice.
Decide! and tell us soon.
BTW, please mention the prices of both. Thanks!
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby supernova on Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:30 pm

thank you for the good advice. you are on the ball with your comment.

the explorer

XLS only available 2006 model = 97000 including 3 years free service contract

XLT with no leather 2007 model = 105,000 the free service is not confirmed yet

the Commader:

basic option: 111,250 no free service 4.7 v8

Limited 4.7 v8 with leather = 128,500

and the mighty HEMI 5.7 V8 full option = 139,900

i am going right now to test drive the 4.7 basic option :)

update you soon
supernova
Tuner
Tuner

Postby supernova on Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:42 am

I went to the jeep dealer, and they had the 4.7 ready for the test drive:

I told them i am taking it home for my wife to see and drive they said take your time, Very nice service :)

I started the engine everything was smooth i love the v8 sound; i put my foot down and its ok nothing special like yesterdays HEMI. It was more like the explorer acceleration which is ok for the wife. On the highway it was nice to drive stable and secure it reaches a maximum of just under 190km without hesitation. one thing i noticed was the fuel economy it was worse than my old range rover it was giving an average of 22L/100km but i guess everyone was testing the car was driving fast.
i tried it on a medium roundabout and it was stable i was doing 60 and trying to loos control and when i really pushed it the stability control kicked in and corrected the car without drama, very good :)

Now the Wife test:

I got home and you don’t believe the reaction i got, she absolutely hates this car she told me it looks like 20 year old Lada???? I told her it was supposed to look retro; she was having none of it. She liked the drive but never wants to be seen in this old thing.

Oh well i guess i am back to the explorer. There are no more options.

there is actually one more option, i have an opportunity, my work colleague wants to change his VW Touareg 2005 v6 basic options and i told him ill buy it he agreed to give it to me if i pay his remaining bank balance of 108k dirham. I told him ill have to get the wife to drive it. He agreed. He is going on leave and leaving the car for us for a month :)

Let see if the wife likes this one. I like the Touareg what do you think?

this is final if she doesnt like it i am going the same day to Ford and buy the Explorer no more messing arround.
supernova
Tuner
Tuner

Postby T.N.T on Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:38 pm

Its sad to know that your wife did not like the Commander. I personally love the retro looks and it was certainly better than the Explorer.
If you are getting the Touareg for 108k, that also a 2005 model, what are you waiting for? Eventhough it is basic, these things have a starting price north of 140k. Your wife might like it too and it is better than the Explorer.
2.5 is a bit underpowered for my taste but must be fine for your wife. A new-look Touareg is coming soon and this might be considered 'old' after just a few months which isn't a good thing especially when you are spending above 100k on a family SUV.
A few pics:

T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

PreviousNext

Return to SUV, 4x4, Trucks