2011 Toyota Camry XLE

Discuss the best sedan 4-door to get or not to get....

Moderator: azi malik

2011 Toyota Camry XLE

Postby fadi khan on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:51 am

ASSOCIATE EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: Getting into a Camry really puts things in perspective. Just think about it. This is what a large portion of the general public flocks to when it comes time to purchase a new car (most likely to replace an old white or beige Camry), and that's just sad. OK, the majority of people don't buy the $35,000 V6 version with the optional $2,100 TRD wheels, but four-cylinder models (again, painted either white or beige) . . . you get the idea.

I've had countless people ask for my opinion about the Camry, and they're always shocked when I spit out four or five other options that I believe are better than the Toyota. Without a doubt, the Camry's name recognition with the public is its strongest asset.

Basically, the Camry has a PhD in mediocrity. Everything from the drivetrain, ride quality, steering, cabin materials to the fit and finish are all middle of the road, which is what sells to the masses.

To me, the steering is numb with little to no feedback and the suspension is tuned for a rather floaty ride, which is good to smooth out the many road imperfections around these parts. There's respectable pull from the V6, and the six-speed automatic gearbox completes shifts fairly quick. The brakes are OK, too.

There's nothing here to make the Camry noteworthy. Everything is just OK, which is something this car has actually been praised for in the past. I mean, come on! Praised for just being adequate in the most competitive segment on the market? Not on my watch.

However, I will admit that those $2,100 TRD rims do look pretty slick, but they help ratchet the as-tested price to an absurd height. To be fair, this is a loaded XLE model. Simply put, this car is more than capable of going from point A to point B and is built for people who don't care about cars.

EDITOR WES RAYNAL: Friends of my mother-in-law buy a new Camry every few years. I once asked them why they buy Camrys, and I received blank stares. You would have thought I asked them why they buy a GE toaster instead of a KitchenAid. I half expected one to turn to the other and say, "We drive a what?"

And that, to me, is the essence of the Camry. It's among the best-selling nameplates in America even with Toyota's run-amok problems last year.

It is an appliance. It is competent. It is achingly dull. The interior is semiroomy and all the materials are decent. The powertrain is mostly good, as is the ride handling. It gets the job done, going about its business with zero passion or flair--no more no less. It floats down the road the way Buicks used to (though I was honestly surprised at the high amount of tire and wind noise on this particular sample; I thought the car would be much quieter). The steering is barely that; slow with no communication back to the driver. The brakes are average. The whole car is, in fact.

It's the proverbial C student, and the price on this XLE with all the options is laughably high.

ASSISTANT ART DIRECTOR CHERYL L. BLAHNIK: When I think Camry, the words pleasant, efficient and boring come to mind. But when I saw this bright red Camry in the parking garage, it caught my eye with the optional 18-inch TRD wheels and spoiler, which added some visual spice to the otherwise bland exterior.

The inside is light and easy on the eyes with its conservative design and it is comfortable and roomy. I also made good use of the spacious trunk by filling it with goods from a Target shopping trip. With the good cargo space and the back seat with lots of legroom, the Camry could easily haul a family around.

The drive, not surprisingly, is fine for everyday driving. The suspension handled Michigan potholes well, but unlike Wes, road and wind noise wasn't a problem for me. Power from the 3.5-liter V6 was also adequate.

2011 Toyota Camry XLE

Base Price: $30,130

As-Tested Price: $35,267

Drivetrain: 3.5-liter V6; FWD, six-speed automatic

Output: 268 hp @ 6,200 rpm, 248 lb-ft @ 4,700 rpm

Curb Weight: 3,516 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 23/20.7 mpg

Options: Upgrade 18-inch TRD 10-spoke alloy wheels ($2,100); XLE extra value package #3 including voice-activated DVD navigation system with integrated backup camera, JBL AM/FM four-disc, in-dash CD changer with satellite radio, MP3/WMA playback capability, auxiliary audio jack, USB port with iPod connectivity, hands-free phone capability and music streaming via Bluetooth wireless, eight speakers in six location, FM diversity reception ($1,810) XLE extra value package #1 including smart key system with push-button start and heated front seats ($890); remote start ($529); preferred accessory package including carpet/trunk matching set, first aid kit, glass-breaking sensor ($476); rear spoiler ($303); body side molding ($209)

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011041 ... z1Kl5qEo8f
2011-Toyota-Camry-XLE2.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg
2011-Toyota-Camry-XLE2.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg (31.62 KiB) [ Viewed 613 times ]
2011-Toyota-Camry-XLE2.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg [ 31.62 KiB | Viewed 613 times ]

2011-Toyota-Camry-XLE4.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg
2011-Toyota-Camry-XLE4.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg (58.86 KiB) [ Viewed 639 times ]
2011-Toyota-Camry-XLE4.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg [ 58.86 KiB | Viewed 639 times ]

2011-Toyota-Camry-XLE5.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg
2011-Toyota-Camry-XLE5.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg (53.67 KiB) [ Viewed 640 times ]
2011-Toyota-Camry-XLE5.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg [ 53.67 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]

2011-Toyota-Camry-XLE6.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg
2011-Toyota-Camry-XLE6.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg (35.83 KiB) [ Viewed 628 times ]
2011-Toyota-Camry-XLE6.jpg&MaxW=630.jpg [ 35.83 KiB | Viewed 628 times ]

fadi khan
Drifter
Drifter

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: MBA
My Dream Ride: Cygnus

Re: 2011 Toyota Camry XLE

Postby azi malik on Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:27 am

hmmm 3.5 ...daz tooo much.... i think here only 2.4 litre comes...
azi malik
F1 Racer
F1 Racer

My Ride: I don't know what I ride
My Profession: automotive consultant
My Dream Ride: dunoo

Return to Sedan