Lumina SS

Discuss the best sedan 4-door to get or not to get....

Moderator: azi malik

Lumina SS

Postby D0nQuixote on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi... does anyone have any idea how much a 2008 Lumina SS would cost? Would love to hear from you guys... the specifications sound great and it looks amazing. Unfortunately the Lumina's impression here in the UAE is a bit ruined because of... well, let's leave it there! However the bottomline is that it is one of the best things to come out ot Australia! Anyway, how do you think it serves as an everyday car? And generally what are in your opinion its pros and cons? I would really appreciate detailed answers. And yes, I have already read the reviews, seen the acceleration videos.
Cheers~
My hunt for the perfect coupe' is eternal.
D0nQuixote
Cruiser
Cruiser

Re: Lumina SS

Postby root on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:17 am

I think its around 120k for the SS coupe. I need to check the latest prices though.

But what I know is that its at amazing value compared to what you would pay in Australia (where I believe its the Holden Commodore SS) as all the aussies here tell me.

Well, for one, the SS has the image of the young guys sports vehicle...its got a lot of power/speed for its price and is popular among the Emiratis and other GCC natives.

The young image means that these cars have a higher share than others in accidents and the insurance on these vehicles is normally high.

Resale...well, its a Chevy end of the day and in UAE that does not have great resale value. If you buy a second-hand yourself, you need to see if its not been overly abused as again these cars have been.

I probably only spoke Cons. Pro is it's a monster of a car for a relatively cheap price. If you take well care of it, I'm sure you'll be a happy owner.

Buy new vs used is a difficult dilemma - new will go down in price fast; used is hard to find a good one.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby root on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:14 am

I just checked in a magazine (wheels) that publishes prices and it says top of the range 185k. That sounds high to me and wheels have been wrong with prices before as well.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby T.N.T on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:21 pm

185k is for the CSV CR8, not the SS :)
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby D0nQuixote on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:05 pm

That is quite expensive... considering that it has the reputation of being a cheap car. The G37 is for 188K, though normally they are an comparatively expensive brand. Thanks for your help, guys. I am still hunting for a second car, the first stays with my wife who drives it primarily. We are not sure which one to get. I like the Lumina SS though you are so right, root, buying such a car second-hand means getting something which has seen way too much abuse. With a 6-litre engine under your foot, who wouldn't be a little abusive!
Thanks for your help, more answers will be appreciated. I am still waiting to hear from Chevrolet here. WIll get a quote on Saturday I suppose. Went to see the Mustang, looks like a milion bucks but the All-American interior pisses me off if you know what I mean. No gadgets, just business... but well, does not come out right somehow lol...
Cheers~
D0nQuixote
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby D0nQuixote on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:30 pm

BTW That's true, it is the CSV CR8 that is worth AED 185,000. According to Car magazine, the SS is worth US$31,000, which seems alright. Hopefully the insurance is not too high, which in the case of the Mustang is AED 11,000 a year. According to Car Magazine, the SS manages 0-100 in 5.1 seconds which sounds pretty good to me. As I said, I will probably go to Chevrolet on Saturday; they are just down the road from my house. Looks pretty mean in black.
D0nQuixote
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby T.N.T on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:56 pm

The Lumina SS is around 125k.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby D0nQuixote on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:52 am

I am VERY VERY VERY confused between the Mustang or the more powerful (but no so sexy SS).TNT how much do you pay in insurance for your Z? And root, what do you drive?
I must be annoying you guys with all the questions lol...
D0nQuixote
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby T.N.T on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:40 am

I can't share the insurance pricing with you for some reasons :)
Call up different insurance companies and get a quote. It would help if you have a No Claim certificate.
If I was you, I'd go for the SS.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:06 pm

I drive an old audi convertible...among a couple of other cars.

Insurance, if you have no-claims bonus from an insurance company and you are above 25 you can get around 4% of the car value in insurance. I consider that to be good.

For my cars, I have 3.6% , 3.8% and a flat fee of 500 Dhms (only 3rd party) for my various vehicles. I pay around 650 Dhms for my bike.
But I have a clean track record for many years ;)

While negotiating insurance there are a few things you can play around with:
- the self-risk amount..the higher you go the cheaper your premium goes
- tell them no-one under 25 will drive
- a certificate of clean insurance history

Many who are young get the car registered in their parents name as that does reduce the premium.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby D0nQuixote on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:02 pm

Thanks for sharing that info guys, it has been very useful. I have been in the UAE for about a year and a half and do have a clean track record with Arab Orient Insurance Company. The no claim certificate should therefore should not be a problem. Moreover I am 28 so age is also not a concern. Lastly, the only other person to drive the car will be my wife who is exactly the same age.

As for the SS, yeah TNT I agree with your advice however the only issue is one of identity crisis; in the UAE it is synonymous with young, rowdy and hormonal boys lol so not sure how a financial analyst will be perceived driving it. But anyway if I like it a lot, I will definitely go for it. My wife's already decided on the Wrangler for herself but I am still scratching my head.

BTW Ford was offering me AED 135,000 for the Mustang and one-year free insurance. However as I said, I am not too enthralled about the interior. Let's see... thank you very much for the help.
D0nQuixote
Cruiser
Cruiser

Postby root on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:21 pm

Don't buy a brand new Mustang..you'll lose too much on it first year.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aerslan on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:17 pm

hey don

first of all let me sympathise with the kind of agony your going through chosing a new car.. you want a car that performs, have a pretty decent budget yet still want to stand out from the crowd.. personally chosing a car like that for a man is no different than chosing a wedding dress for a woman.. you really have the devils job my friend

the lumina's an awesome car! if its a 4 door saloon you want its pretty practical, and i just couldnt believe how spacious it really was.. but there's this thing abt the lumina, once you really push it (and i am taking you as the kind of guy who will on occasion) it handles like a small nible car, you really dont feel its a big car at all..

on the downside, the quotes your getting for 0-62 in 5.1 arent for the SS, there for the CSV.. also since we only get an automatic here im guessing an SS would be in the mid 6's

i was going through the same thing a couple of weeks back, same budget same criteria.. here's a list of low miles used cars in good condition that you can get

porsche boxster
bmw Z4 coupe
bmw 530
bmw x3
audi TT
g35 coupe (infact abt 40-50 grand below your budget)
Dodge charger SRT10 (a pretty mean muscle car)

and if you can strech it to 150k

porsche cayman (adored it!)
porsche 911, a 2003 model basic 986
corvette C6 - and this aint no muscle car any more, its a proper sports car.. the americans really crakced it here

i had my eyes set on the cayman, but that would mean having to eat canned food, humous and bread for breakfast lunch and dinner for a whole year

good luck with the purchase don!
aerslan
Tuner
Tuner

Postby root on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:39 pm

That's a good list..you could a used Audi S6 to the list as well.

Cayman...yes! that is one great car to own! But hard to find anyone who wants to give it away cheap.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby D0nQuixote on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:41 pm

Wow, you gave such a detailed answer, Aersalan! Thank you! Yeah it is an agonizing decision and with those statements about the SS, you have convinced me some more! As for the cars you listed, the pick for me would probably be the Cayman but hey, I don't want to survive on Hummous either!! I have a decent budget but I am also married (no kids) and pay rent like everyone else in Abu Dhabi. Sadly, my wife's job (teaching) does not pay as well as it does in some Government schools here, otherwise I would have raised my budget some more, hehe.

As for rest of the cars, the Z4 to me is just way too gay (no descrimination intended, this is meant to be a comment from one car lover to another). The G35 has been ousted by the G37 and the interior is just ok. The BMW 530 is one I have always liked but with a curb weight of 3,500 lb it is not the most fun to drive. (I know what you're thinking... I am obsessed with such numbers, with NOT smoking in the car, not eating in it etc hehe) Along with the 523i it is the most popular of cars in my profession (investment banking). In this profession, you are expected to be somewhat of a &^%$# and drive something really expensive. A Lumina would be looked at as something way too stereotypical but I have never cared about that. I drive a V6 Accord right now, which is not the flashiest object to flaunt! In fact I posted its ad just today on here.

Anyway with your comment, I will count that two votes for the SS and will pay a visit to the dealership tomorrow. Tomorrow is Car Saturday for us! First we go to Jeep and then to Chevy. Thanks for your comments once again and root, cast your vote my friend!!
D0nQuixote
Cruiser
Cruiser

Next

Return to Sedan