Help on buying premium sedan

Discuss the best sedan 4-door to get or not to get....

Moderator: azi malik

Help on buying premium sedan

Postby ACJ on Sun May 25, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi guys,

First, let me say that this is simply the best resource anywhere for automotive discussions, updates etc. Super Job! I've been looking at this site for quite some time now and i too need some help from you - my better experienced peers.

I'm looking to buy a premium sedan. My budget is a max of 170k. After doing whatever research & looking at a number of vehicles i've got down to this list.

1) A new 2008 Merc C-class: will cost about 169 for the top optioned E 200 komp.
2) A used Mec E280: 2007 model, 25K mileage, being offered for 167K with 2 yrs warranty
3) The 2008 Cadillac CTS: my heart is with this one, but there are downsides of course in terms of this market :(

I've looked at others also including lexus and infinity but space is just too less. I'm a tall fellow at 6'2 so space is an issue. Loved the G35, still do but space is less. IS300 is lovely inside but it would have been better as a coupe .. rear seats are useless except for maybe children or midgets.

From the 3 listed above, which one would you advise going for? My head says E280, but heart says Caddy. I need to decide quickly or i'll lose the E280 option.

Or am i totally off the mark ... am i missing something???

Many thanks in advance to all who spare some time to give me some advice on this.

Cheers!
ACJ

Re: Help on buying premium sedan

Postby T.N.T on Sun May 25, 2008 3:35 pm

If your heart is really with the CTS, I'll say "go get 'er" ! (do get one in red with black leather :D )
Its best to follow your heart at times, you don't wanna spend 170k on a car and not feel passionate about it :)
The only problem according to me will be resale, apart from that, its just perfect!
If resale matters to you, then I would recommend you to go for the E280. The C200K would be my last choice in this list, basically because its just a bit underpowered and if I'm spending 170k on a car, I would expect it to perform.

And BTW, thanks for your kind words about this website!
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby ACJ on Sun May 25, 2008 3:51 pm

Woow!! Now that's what i call prompt. Thanks TNT for the advice.
Yeah ... red caddy with black leather was what was on my mind too...

Just one thing ... do you think the 2007 E280 deal is a fair price (167K)?. The new 2008 one of similar trim (elegance) costs 195K.

Also any info regarding the maintenance and running costs etc about both the Caddy and the E280 would be a great help.

Lastly, if i go for the E-class, where can i get good quality accessories for it with installation that wont mess up the computer. I'd want to get a Navi system with rear cam and surround sound system if i go for the Merc.

Thanks again.
ACJ

Postby root on Sun May 25, 2008 7:15 pm

Ok...good to go for your heart, but also use your brain! The Caddy CTS price falls like a rock in this market. If you really want it, and at the same time get a good bargain, go for a 1-2 year old one. They pop up every now and then, and you'll also have a big smile on your face as you'll get it much cheaper.

For 170k, you can get the Infiniti EX. It's not your luxury sedan by looks, but is quite luxurious and powerful.

E280..1 year old should be around 15% discounted on normal running. That's about what you're getting it for - so its an ok deal. Gets sweeter if there are some extras in the car, or its got low mileage or well taken care of. Mind you last year the price was lower, so the seller ain't really losing much.

Welcome to our humble forums ;)
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby Tanko on Sun May 25, 2008 8:19 pm

Hi ACJ,
If the resale value is not a concern, then you should look at what you like (CTS).
Otherwise, Cadillac is a killer when it comes to selling it a few years down the line.
I would personally avoid the E class for the time being as the new E class is due for 2009.
Have you considered the Lexus GS300 or BMW 520? They all should be within your range.
Good luck
Tanko
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Sun May 25, 2008 9:01 pm

Even the Lexus ES is a good choice. Spacious for your height. The 2008 model is very nice and really got it all. Only downside is that its not RWD like the GS or IS.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dxbrider on Sun May 25, 2008 11:17 pm

The E-class from 2007 is ugly IMHO! you can get better for your money than going with a Mercedes.
dxbrider
Tuner
Tuner

Postby T.N.T on Mon May 26, 2008 10:19 am

root, the all-new CTS just came out this year. How do you expect him to find a "1-2 year old" one of this model?
Whoever is against the all-new CTS hasn't been inside it or driven it I guess. Trust me, the feeling of being in the cabin of one is pretty good. Well sculpted, good looking and high quality surfaces no matter where you touch. As good as any German competitor and more 'interesting' than most Japs. Sitting inside it puts a smile on your face (very few cars can do that, for me atleast), driving it is a whole different story:

Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Mon May 26, 2008 7:49 pm

Well, I did not obviously mean the 'all-new CTS' :)

ok..not as sexy but still a pretty nice ride:

root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Sedan