Looking for a GPS

Discuss what's new, which are the best cars, bikes and off-roaders....

Moderator: azi malik

Looking for a GPS

Postby SINGH on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:35 am

I am looking for a GPS, which one would suggest at a good price? I know Garmin has a good range. I am looking for one which has a big size screen with clarity and also should have all the neccessary features.
SINGH
Tuner
Tuner

Re: Looking for a GPS

Postby T.N.T on Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:39 pm

Anyone?
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:25 am

Garmin is the most popular!

I've got GPS and its not that great for Dubai as the streets change all the time. However, if you're new then I can see the value of having it (to at least know where you are).

For out of town like desert safaris, its an invaluable tool to have, and I would definitely recommend getting on then. I have friends that go to Google Earth and find a nice new terrain to conquer with their 4x4s and then put in the coordinates into their GPS.

Don't know about Al-Ain, but tried it in RAK, and the maps are not really there. If you are expecting the accuracies of maps as you find in US or Europe, then forget it. If you are willing to live with finding the large highways, etc, then you should get one.

How about getting the new Nokia phone instead? Its got GPS built in.
Or wait for the iPhone 3G.
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby SINGH on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:47 am

thank you both for the help.
SINGH
Tuner
Tuner

Postby Brembo on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:49 am

ive got a garmin nuvi 710, its pretty good thought not exactly accurate as the maps for uae are a bit old, its still pretty good and helps me out when im totally lost. i havent used it off road so i dont know how good it performes there. its got bluetooth n you can connect your phone to it for handsfree driving. also the gps voice navigation (the lady's voice that says left right etc) can be broadcast thru your radio which i think is pretty neat.

p.s dont rely on the nokia phone, ive got a n95 it takes atleast 3mins minimum to lock onto a satellite signal, so if u suddenly need directions be ready to wait a while :mrgreen: plus the nokia maps suck.... :lol:
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Return to General Chat