Crackdown on the few good things in life..

Discuss what's new, which are the best cars, bikes and off-roaders....

Moderator: azi malik

Crackdown on the few good things in life..

Postby root on Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:18 pm

Now, everyone benefited from this!

From GN today!

Crackdown on illegal workers in Dubai make car wash a costly affair

Dubai: Motorists in Dubai and Sharjah are facing a dearth in part-time car cleaners whose services came less than Dh100 a month.

Last month Dubai Municipality inspectors, in cooperation with Dubai Police and the Dubai Naturalisation and Residency Department, nabbed 363 illegal workers.

Obaid Salem Al Shamsi, Assistant Director General of Dubai Municipality for Administrative and General Services Affairs, in a statement in April had said that they caught 363 people, including 276 street vendors, 51 beggars, 21 illegal car washers, and 15 illegal butchers and fish cleaners.

Al Shamsi said that the law-breakers would be handed over to the Dubai Naturalisation and Residency Department for deportation in coordination with Dubai Police.

But after the crackdown on part-time car washers, who used to work as office boys or helpers during the day, getting a car cleaned has become a costly affair for motorists. Petrol stations has also hiked the car wash services by Dh10 to Dh15.

Taking advantage of the situation, the building watchmen also provide car cleaning services to compliment their monthly income.

Increased

They charge Dh75 for cleaning cars on alternate days, and Dh150-175 for a wash every day except Fridays. But car cleaners, designated by companies who offer their services in car parks at malls and shopping centres, have hiked the prices marginally such as Dh10 to Dh15.

Abdul Qasim, a 48-year-old Bangladeshi cleaner who used to wash cars outside offices to support his family, had to stop it for fear of being arrested.

Motorists whose cars he cleaned were concerned of his welfare but a week later he was seen walking on the streets of Bur Dubai.

"I stopped cleaning cars because Dubai Municipality inspectors are making rounds to catch those involved in the illegal job," said Qasim.

"I have two sons and a daughter for whom I work as a cleaner in a clinic from 8.30am to 2pm and then [used to] wash cars until 7pm. I did not have the permit to wash cars but I used to do it to supplement my income of Dh1,200 by working in the clinic. I use to charge Dh75 per car," he said.

"There were two young Bangladeshi boys who used to wash cars along with me. They both have been caught."

"Our watchman used to charge Dh100 ... but now he has increased the fee to Dh150 monthly to wash cars thrice a week. To get a car wash at any of petrol stations ... costs us Dh30," said Inayat Khan, a Pakistani.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Re: Crackdown on the few good things in life..

Postby aerslan on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:56 pm

oh yes!

dampen, shampoo and rinse once again

ladies, you should stop looking for the perfect soul mate.. anyman who takes care of his car will likely take care of your kids too
aerslan
Tuner
Tuner

Re: Crackdown on the few good things in life..

Postby root on Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:53 pm

I can't believe there is a website for car washing, but we made news there as well:

http://www.carwash.com/news.asp?N_ID=68329 ;)
Come and discuss at the most lively forums about Cars, Bikes, 4x4s...at http://www.autodealer.ae at the Autodealer UAE Forums.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Return to General Chat