Salik Tricks

Discuss what's new, which are the best cars, bikes and off-roaders....

Moderator: azi malik

RTA Strikes back?

Postby root on Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:06 pm

In todays Gulf News, RTA seems to be trying to use the 'fear factor' to stop people from being innovative.
The 10,000 AED fine will surely scare people off. The logic by RTA does make sense that if the tag is not read, then they must be capturing the number plate as its the same as not having a tag at all.

If the tag is read, then there is really no coin that can manipulate their back-end computers.

No trick can cheat Salik system: RTA

By Ashfaq Ahmed, Staff Reporter
Published: October 10, 2007, 23:51

Dubai: Motorists using coins or any other devices to cheat the Salik system to avoid the toll fee cannot avoid fines, said a senior official.

"I know some people are trying to cheat the system in different ways but let me tell you that the system cannot be cheated as their car registration plates are being read by the cameras installed at the Salik gates every time they pass through the gates," said Salah Al Marzouqi, Director of the Intelligent Traffic Systems (ITS) at the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority.

He said that he came to know about the coin trick which some people are using in a bid to cheat the system (as reported in Gulf News).

"I myself tried it and found out that the system did not read the tag if a coin is used but it does not mean that the motorist will not get a fine," he said.

Glitches

Gulf News reported earlier this week that some motorists are cheating the system by using a one dihram coin, which they keep pressed behind the chip in the Salik tag pasted on their car windscreen and pass through the gate without any toll deduction or fines because the Salik website does not show the account deduction details.

Al Marzouqi explained that the registration plate of a vehicle is captured by the camera even if the tag is not read for some reason, every time a motorist passes through a toll gate.

"The posting of fines has been facing some delays because it is taking time during the quality control services as we revise the issue several times before issuing a fine. A huge number of fines have already been issued and we will finish the backlog soon," he added.

Al Marzouqi said: "We have been facing some glitches because of wrong information provided by motorists who registered for the Salik system but I hope the system will be streamlined within a month," Al Marzouqi said.

He said the RTA had problem with the data of motorists who registered for Salik. Many gave wrong telephone numbers, which delayed the procedure to inform them about the deduction of tolls through the SMS service.

Motorists should contact the RTA's customer service centre on SALIK (800-72545) in case of any complaint and they can also contact the RTA office if they are not satisfied with the customer service centre.

Al Marzouqi said that if a motorists passes through a toll gate without having sufficient credit in his Salik account or without a Salik tag, his trip will not show on the website in his Salik account.

"In case of insufficient credit, the case is referred to the fines section for extensive review. If a violator manages to top up his account within two days, his fine is waived and only the toll money is deducted otherwise he is given a fine for not having sufficient credit or not using a Salik tag at all," he added.

The RTA has already announced it will waive fines for all motorists who used the Salik gates without tags during the first two weeks of Salik's introduction in July

He said that motorists coming from the GCC countries will also get fines in case they pass through Salik gates installed on Shaikh Zayed Road near the Mall of the Emirates and Al Garhoud Bridge on Shaikh Rashid Road.

Al Marzouqi advised motorists to be careful while giving details at the time of getting their Salik tags. Also, motorists should give correct information while topping up their Salik accounts.

Fines

* Maximum penalty for misuse is Dh10,000
* Insufficient balance on Salik card: Dh50
* Using Salik gate without tag: Dh100
* Repeat offence: Dh200
* Third time same offence: Dh400
* Manipulation or cheating of cards: Dh10,000
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Ride: VW Touareg V8 2005
My Profession: Car Enthusiast
My Dream Ride: This month: Nissan GT-R

Postby Brembo on Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:49 pm

so who has tried the coin trick?
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

My Ride: riced up honda civic
My Profession: delivery boy
My Dream Ride: toyota corolla white

Postby root on Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:43 pm

I did'nt have a coin so I tried using my mobile instead (only movable thing I could find while driving that had some metal in it) and that did not work ;)
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Brembo on Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:30 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby ewap8 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:41 pm

who has tried the coin trick? no one till now?
ewap8
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Infiniti FX (2010)
My Profession: N/A
My Dream Ride: Aston Martin V12 Vantage

Postby Brembo on Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:36 pm

maybe someone tried it and it worked but dont wanna post it here as then the salik folks might make salik work even with the coin trick :D
Brembo
Street Racer
Street Racer

Postby ewap8 on Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:23 pm

well, if the trick works, then there is nothing they can do about it. they're not gonna change each and every salik tag on all vehicles in the city..
ewap8
Drift King
Drift King

My Ride: Infiniti FX (2010)
My Profession: N/A
My Dream Ride: Aston Martin V12 Vantage

Postby firasdxb on Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:57 am

well, i think Salik team might need to assign some road controllers in normal private cars to monitor beside each gate, and capture the suspected cars using coins or other devices which were caught by the camera...
firasdxb
Ride Pimper
Ride Pimper

¤"(&%"#="## Salik!!!

Postby root on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:45 pm

Just been paying in vain!!!!!!
Could've just drove by without paying anything and get no fines.

We should get a refund or atleast credit! It does not pay to be honest.

From GN today!
RTA waives motorists' Salik fines

By Ashfaq Ahmed, Staff Reporter
Last updated: December 30, 2007, 12:10

Dubai: Salik fines for all motorists, either registered or unregistered with the Dubai's road toll system, have been waived for the period between July 1 and October 31, a senior official has announced.

Motorbike users will not be fined at all until December 31. Violations of Salik toll system entailed fines ranging from Dh50 to Dh10,000 from November 1.

The decision to waive fines in the first four months after Salik introduction has been taken as a "goodwill gesture" towards motorists, said Mattar Al Tayer, Chairman of the Board and Executive Director of the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA). "Motorists also do not have to settle their Salik fines at the time of vehicle registration."

Salik toll gates became operational on July 1 near Al Garhoud Bridge on Shaikh Rashid Road and Al Barsha. Every motorist passing through a toll gate is charged Dh4 as toll fee.

Gulf News has learnt that the RTA's decision to waive fines came after it failed to record fines for violators properly.

Gulf News reported earlier in October that the Salik system had been facing teething problems since it was installed.

"We have been facing some glitches because of wrong information provided by motorists who registered for the Salik system but now the system has been streamlined," an official confided.
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby navadv on Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:59 am

Goodwill?
i dont think so.... Their system just isnt working right.

A question: if you have a fine and you go to renew your car registration, will you need to pay the fine first?

Heres another idea i got .... The cameras on the salik gate are one / lane.
So, ive been thinking of trying out this new thing where i cross stradling the lanes :P
(i.e. pretend im switching lanes and so position my car on the white line)

Think it will work ??
navadv
Drift King
Drift King

Postby T.N.T on Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:00 pm

That's one wacky idea but I'm guessing it won't work. Worth giving a try though! :D
Give respect, get respect.
T.N.T
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Postby root on Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:11 am

Hey technically that should work..unless the cameras have a wider width to cover 0.5 of the lanes on each side.

but who's gonna risk this and let us know if it works?
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ace on Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:59 pm

It might work...but then you might even get 'saliked' twice..
Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Postby root on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:47 pm

someone ought a try and let us know ;)
root
Site Admin
Site Admin

Salik,

Postby rbdxb on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:39 pm

Hi,

Heard of an interesting one on radio.

If a car with salik and all the necessary credit is stuck in traffic right under the gate due to traffic can he get charged mutiple times?

Well i guess with all that RFID etc. technologically nothing stops this from happening. what say?
rbdxb
Tuner
Tuner

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat